Can I inherit My Parents Debt?

I ask because right now my parents are fighting against my grandfather over who is going to help him pay off his debt. Apparently he accumulated about 250k in tax debt over the past 5-10 years... He's a realestate agent and one year made close to 2 million dollars, and spent it all that same year. My... show more I ask because right now my parents are fighting against my grandfather over who is going to help him pay off his debt. Apparently he accumulated about 250k in tax debt over the past 5-10 years... He's a realestate agent and one year made close to 2 million dollars, and spent it all that same year. My grandmother used her own money for herself, he spent his money on his own things, and gifts for him and his mistress. So my mom and her siblings feel they should get thier mothers things, and my grandfather thinks that if they get her things, then they should pay half HIS debt. But they didn't get anything, he sold it all, moved in with his mistress, and my grandmother left him penniless... so he got what he deserved (he was taken off her insurance a couple years before she passed).

Well anyway. My parents are about 40k in debt PLUS thier house mortgage, car payments, all that jazz. ANd i fear that instead of putting all the insurance money into these debts, my parents just went on a spending spree :(

They are extremely irresponsible people... they drink as if they are 21 (they are close to 60 D:) and both chain smoke. They drive home drunk or under the influence... and party at least once a week. I fear they wont see thier grandchildren in the future :(

But because of this irresponsible nature, i'm seriously worried that when they pass, sense i'm the oldest child (and the unfavourite).. that I will inherit all thier debt ( or even have to split it with my brother). Is it possible?

Cause if it's a 100% garauntee...then my husband is telling me to disown them for legal reasons. Still treat them as family, see them, yadda yadda, but disown them :x