How do I tell my brother I'm dating his friend?

I'm in my early 20s and my brother is 8 years older than me. He is my only sibling and I've always been seen as his 'baby sister'. I've always got along well with his friends and recently found that I had a strong attraction to one of them who he's known for about 10 years. Myself and this friend talked and found out that the feeling is mutual. We went to a concert together and have been seeing eachother a lot outside of our group of friends. We've decided we want to initiate a relationship but we have no idea how to tell my brother. When I put it to my brother hypothetically he got a bit defensive and said he would 'kill him' if he found out anything was happening.

We are so attracted to eachother and I don't want to lose him just because my brother thinks he can control everything I do. I understand why he's angry but I need to let him know that this relationship is a good thing. How do we go about breaking the news to him?

Favorite Answer

Your brother knows his friend better than you. If my perverted womanizing best friend wanted to date my sister, I would rip his nuts out with my bare hands. However, if my nice guy gentleman best friend wanted to date my sister, I would welcome it with open arms. There is a reason why he is protecting you, he knows his friend. Guys who are friends KNOW each others history with the opposite sex. Ask him why he would kill him. If your guy treats you with respect, than your bro should know. I am sure he will tell you why. But tell him that your guy treats you well and is very respectful to you. If he makes you happy than your bro may be okay with it.

Directly.

Going around someone's back or trying to 'Let them down Gently' will only get him angered or more annoyed at the subject.

Just go up to him and say ''I'm dating your friend (Enter name here) ''

..It's the best possible way.

perhaps at this point it would be better to establish the relationship first so that it can endure the hit of your brothers reaction, if your relationship is like a new born on walking on its legs, your relationship might fall from the blow.

give it a month or so then bring the conversation up with your brother, you both should be there and your BF better make himself open to all possibilities, the worse being a punch to the face, u need to be ready for that kind of reaction to. Brothers can be this way, they don't want their friends to cross their line and disrespect them.

Good Luck

Honestly, theres no way you can tell him without him exploding.

The ONLY thing he is thinking of when he hears you're in a relationship is that you're f**king the guy, and that will eat him up inside.

Theres no way around it, hes going to be mad either way.

Source(s): a brother, who has never/will never be in that situation

Good question..

I think you should should aware what your going to say to him before you tell him your dating his friend, for example..

Hey, Don't get freaked our or anything, and meaning its a good thing, well.. him and I are dating.. and PLEASE don't get fustrated..

Something like that, I guess?

Hope it helps..

Good question, You can go to meet him, And you will say him, Go ahead

sing him a song :D