Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBoxing · 10 years ago

Is the lefty Michael Farenas a great prospect in boxing ?

I saw some of his fight videos and i was amazed by this guy. He's got speed and power and he moves like Gerry Penalosa..

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

He is not really a prospect any longer- I would consider him a fringe contender at this point. He has yet to defeat a name opponent and the most recognizable name on his ledger is the journeyman Walter Estrada, who loses every time he steps up in competition. The majority of the time Farenas goes the distance against fighters with winning records, he either loses or draws with them, which suggests that he may have lapses in concentration after he doesn't get the knockout early in the fight. He definitely has power, which is evidenced by the fact that 24 of his 27 victories have ended in knockout- he may make something of his career but we won't know until he steps up his competition.

• Jerycs
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

Farenas fought and won in the MAin Event - March 13 (i forgot his opponent's name). Yes he does move a lot like Gerry, in fact he idolizes Penalosa (other than Manny). When they fought during Michael's early years in boxing, he muttered words of praise for Gerry all rounds instead of throwing punches. Gerry won via UD that time and started training Michael being the potential fighter that he is. I think he'll improve more. Who knows he might follow his idol's footstep

• Sean G
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

He's 27-2-3...ranked 52nd in the featherweight division. He is 26 years old...so he has a little time to get better and move up the ranks. The real problem is that featherweight is loaded with Chris John, Yuri Gamboa, Juan Manuel Lopez, Rocky Juarez, Isreal Vasquez, Rafeal Marquez...It will be hard to break to the top in this division. He looks good but he has fought no one on this level.

• 10 years ago

I think Farinas has a great career ahead of him.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.