Eating spicy foods while pregnant?

I'm just wondering ether its ok to eat strong foods while pregnant, like spicy/hot foods, strong garlic spreads etc.

Best Answer

It's fine as long as you don't get acid indigestion or if you don't mind dealing with it. I couldn't while I was pregnant but my sister was fine. If you choose to nurse though I wouldn't while your nursing. I have found anything spicy or too acidic (like oj) will make for a very fussy baby..

I ate spicy foods throughout my entire pregnancy and had no problem with heartburn or anything.

A few people randomly said to me " You are pregnant! You should not be eating spicy food!"

I always replied: "Why not?"

I asked a Jamaican friend if women in the Caribbean stopped eating spicy during their pregnancies and she laughed like crazy! She said "Why would anyone do that???"

Yes. It's fine as long as any meat is fully cooked.

I'd start off with a small amount though. Spicy foods could easily upset your stomach. They may not, but I know a lot of women who were spicy food fanatics and couldn't handle it while pregnant. So start off with a small amount or a less spicy food.

Absolutely! As long as they don't cause any pain for you (ie heartburn, nausea, etc), eat till your hearts content because if you choose to breastfeed, you cant be eating all that spicy food. It will cause your baby to get sick. Actually, my baby responds to certain foods and will move around more but it causes no harm to eat spicy or garlicy foods.

Yes. I love spicy food. I ate it all my first pregnancy and have been all this pregnancy.

Incidentally my son (15 months) LOVES spicy food. Always has since the day we introduced it to him.

Source(s): 15 month old son, 35 weeks with #2

I have had alot of spicy things during my pregancy like buffalo sauce and such. I have read that if you can handle the spice go for it, the only problem that may occur is that you might get heartburn. Nothing has said that it effects the baby.

Source(s): 36 weeks pregnant

Totally. I ate super spicy food. Make sure you drink tons of water.

Source(s): mommy to 6 month old

I love spicy food. I put tons of crushed red pepper and cayenne pepper on everything I eat..

yes, i ate alot of spicy foods during both my pregnancies =]]

everyones body is different so try it out, i know if i ate something like that i'd have heartburn... but you may not.