Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 10 years ago

Ruger mini 30 vs Ruger mini 14.?

I am considering getting a Ruger mini im or 30. I like the 7.62 round more but have heard bad reviews on it. If anyone has personal experience with these rifles or is familiar with them please let me know, thanks!

Favorite Answer

I happen to own both of them...... These Ruger Mini 14 / 30 rifles are the finest little carbines money can buy....

I will say for me its a toss up as to which I like better....

Bad reviews on the 7.62 cartridge?.... Pay no mind to them..... The 7.62x39MM cartridge is a decent cartridge as long as its used within its limitations.... This cartridge is not a long range cartridge.... It has similar ballistics as the old Winchester 30/30... Its great for ranges under 200 yards but drops fast after that.... The Mini 14 is more accurate, is a flatter shooter and has more reach that the Mini 30 but lacks power over long distances.... The new Ruger Mini 14 580 series rifles are more accurate than there predecessors (180 series) but still is not a super accurate gun beyond 200 yards anyways so it doesn't really matter.... Another down side to the Mini 30 is when the barrel gets hot then the shot groups get wider and accuracy suffers.... Of course if the gun barrel is cool and your hunting this isnt a problem... But if your doing some target shooting and the barrel gets warm is gets noticably more inaccurate as the gun heats up.... Now I should point out this may not be a problem depending on what type of shooting your doing.... I use my Ruger Mini 30 to shoot steel plates to 200 yards and it is plenty accurate for that even when warmed up.....

Like what this guy is doing.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRcmGRazf9s

Youtube thumbnail

I have also taken deer under 100 yards with my Mini 30 and also an occasional coyote to 200 yards with it..... The Mini 30 is plenty accurate for that....

If on the other hand you want more accuracy and will NOT be taking deer or larger hogs then the Ruger Mini 14 is plenty..... It is more accurate and when its barrel gets heated doesnt lose its accuracy as much as the 30 does.....

ALSO - In your question I am not completely clear about the "bad reviews"... Did you mean the gun or the cartridge?.... If its the cartridge then pay no mind to any complaints.... The 7.62x39MM cartridge gets an unfair bad rap because of the guns that generaly use these cartridges are inaccurate - think AK, SKS and other similar miltary style carbines.... I also own a CZ 527 bolt action rifle chambered in 7.62x39MM and will attest that this cartridge used within its ballistics limitations is quite accurate... The accuracy complaint about this cartridge is usually the guns fault.....

Look over this 7,62x39MM ballistics table.....

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/762_39mm_r...

If you use this Mini 30 / 7.62x39MM combination within its design limitations then you surely will not be disappointed.....

If accuracy is what your after with a little less power then surely look over the Mini 14......

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/rug...

Both are fine rifles... YOU could do what i did and buy them both!.......

Ruger Mini 30 Review

I know this post is over 4 years old, but wanted to add a couple considerations for anyone who happens to come across this post.

The new Mini 14 has an upgraded larger barrel which has mainly eliminated accuracy problems with the gun. Also there is a barrel stabilizer available which can stiffen the barrel from whipping during firing and helps the barrel dissipate heat faster. They are available from several sources. Just Google or do a Yahoo search for Ruger Mini 14 barrel stabilizer. Also, most of the upgradeable items, such as replacement stocks, scopes and any part not dedicated to the caliber of the rife are interchangeable between the Mini 14 and the Mini 30.

If anyone wants more info on these great guns, YouTube has oodles of videos on them. Nutnfancy, one of my favorite YouTube broadcasters has a few really informative videos on the Mini 14.

Hope this helps people consider these great guns.

Hope this helps people decide to choose this great rifle.

• Mac

Mini-Thirty is 7.62x39mm.

Mini-14 is either 5.56 NATO (also fires .223 Remington) or 6.8mm SPC.

They come with 5-round magazines, so you already have the one you need for hunting applications.

The 6.8mm and 7.62mm versions are great deer calibers. The 7.62mm will have the cheapest ammo available out of all three, but the 5.56mm isn't far behind if you are talking about Russian ammo. The 5.56mm and 6.8mm will have the best bullets available in off-the-shelf hunting ammo.

With the Mini-Thirty (yes, it's technically spelled out), the Ruger rifles actually have a groove size of .308", not the standard .311" of the cartridge and arms like the AK-47 or AKM and clones. The throat of the barrel is designed to swage the .311" bullets so it can fire standard Russian-spec ammo with no worries. But it does give you the option of using the .308" bullets if you reload, which opens up all the American .30 caliber bullets to try, within a narrow weight range though.

Magazines will be more easily available for the 5.56mm, but since the best mags are the ones made by Ruger, you are just better off buying from them anyway.

My family owns several Mini-14s and we have a friend with a Mini-Thirty. Reliability is outstanding and accuracy is better than any AK. I've never gotten to shoot the 6.8mm one though. It's a tempting choice if I was in need of such a carbine for GP and never needed the low cost ammo.

• Erika

Mini 30 Review

• Jeff

you do understand that the Mini 30 is a 7.6x39 caliber rifle?

7x39 when built around a quality sporting style bullet is just short of 30-30 ballistics. Most folks should not have a problem hunting deer class animals. Sporting 7.62x39 is pretty popular in Europe.

So I really don't know how to quantify whatever bad press you are refering too. Picking a cartridge is all about the work you would like to do with that particular choice.

MINI 14's are .223-5.56x45 rifles. A flat shooter using a very fast, light bullet. Very nice for predators, vermin. Most folks (and some fish and game agencies) consider the round a bit light for deer... but they will go down with a sane shot taken from a responsible distance.

The Mini rifle is a good practical gun for feild use. Most wont shoot sub moa groups... but every one I have messed shot minute of milk jug past 100 yards... minute of burn barrel at 300 or longer.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Ruger mini 30 vs Ruger mini 14.?

Source(s): ruger mini 30 ruger mini 14: https://tr.im/cESTx

I've had both guns Traded then off pretty quickly too.

Don't get me wrong they were both good guns just not great guns...

if it were me I would pick a 14... why is simple tons of after market stuff enough to completely customize your own gun....and not so for the 30...

on the other hand the 30 is a slightly more powerful round higher kinetic energy so if you don't want all the after market stuff pick that one...

Given the style of gun both of these were modeled after... you might want to look at the parent, the M1 Grand... now that "IS" a Great Gun...

• ron z

ive got a mini 14, but will flat out say this, guns not a good hunting gun (unless you can find 5 round mags) so knock down power isnt a concern, 7.62 can be cheaper then 223, thats always been my concern, soo depending on what ammo is in your area, go with whats cheaper and what you would like better

but for me it pretty much looks like this

7.62x39= 7-8 bucks a box of 20

.223= 14 bucks a box of 20

even crates of 500, its still more expensive and harder to find in .223, just avoid alot of the surplus ammo, i use wolf, big bear or brown bear w.e the f**k its called, i just ordered a crate of 1000 rounds for 220 bucks plus shipping

Source(s): own a mini 14 and own an AK

Yeah stick with the 30. More knockdown power than the.223. Good luck