Larhar12 asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Building muscle mass, help please!?

hi, i've been working out for a few months now, its been more serious in the past 1 and a half months though. I've started taking a teaspoon of creatine daily( the creatine i use is allmax pure micronized creatine) and sticking to a strict workout schedule as follows:

Monday: standing barbell curls - 5 sets 8 reps

Wide Grip Barbell Curls- 3 sets 6 reps

narrow grip barbell curls- 4 sets 8 reps

standing one arm barbell curls- 4 sets 8 reps

Skull crushers- 3 sets 8 reps

dips- 5 sets 15 reps

overhead extension- 2 sets 8 reps

Thursday: upright rows- 4 sets 8 reps

seated military press- 4 sets 8 reps

pushups 6 sets 15 reps

dumbbell flyes- 2 sets max reps( usually around 20).. 20 is too many, i know.

Friday: Running

Squats- 5 sets 10 reps

crunches- 9 sets max reps

How can i improve this workout plan? All i have available for working out is a barbell and a few dumbbells, not very much weight with the dumbbells though. Im starting to notice changes in my arms, pecs, shoulders and abs. Also a slight increase of muscle mass on my legs. Is this a good workout plan and should i stick to it until the summer to get bigger? By the summer I want to have packed on a considerable amount of muscle. Also, how can i improve the size of my arms when they aren't flexed. They just look rounded and not toned when i don't flex.

Thanks!

Larhar

EDIT: I know running isn't a mass building exercise, i just use it to help strengthen my legs.

Hard and heavy work outs with weighs will build muscle. Muscle is heavier than fat, therefore people wonder why they are not really loosing much weight. A light workout that burns calories but doesn't actually work the muscles hard is the best way to loose fat without building mass. Things like raking leaves a large yard will burn fat. Just walking at a regular pace will keep you tone w/o actually building huge mass, as opposed to jogging up and down stairs and lifting legs hiiigh.

good diet, take protein after your workout, eat high protein foods, do less reps more weight i would say three sets of eight for each body part, three to five exercises. do legs monday : squat,legg press, lunges. tuesday chest : incline, decline, flat. wednesday back: pullups, t bar rows, one arm rows, shrugs. thursday shoulders: military press, side raises, front raises, bent over rows. friday arms: heavy barbell curls, suplex dumbbell curl, hammer curls, preacher curls, consentration crls. theres your workout and eat aot and healthy.

Lol.

Horrible.

You have 16 sets for biceps, 10 for triceps, and 5 for legs. "Running" is not a mass building exercise, it's cardio.

you need to add benchpress and deadlift and very important, power clean, into your workout. those are compound and core workouts. compound as in they workout different muscles in 1 lift exerceise.

of all the different people workout schedules i see, theres sometimes deadlift, but never powerclean.

powerclean is a very important wokrout, as itll build a stronger core and strengthen your back. and you NEED to make a split routine. as in chest,triceps on monday. shoulder,back on tuesday, etc so you dont overtrain.

Source(s): me

one important tip to remember about muscle mass.

Less reps more weight this is key and eating a lot, not eating a lot of garbage though