Do vegetarians need less sleep than meat-eaters?

Ever since I've been vegetarian, I swear I can get by with less sleep than when I eat meet. Sure, adults often get less sleep than kids and teenagers, but I think maybe there is some truth to this. I've met other vegetarians who believe they need less sleep, since all the fat, toxins and excessive protein in the standard American diet requires more sleep to effectively detox. This "vegetarians need less sleep" theory may apply to vegans especially; vegans may require even less sleep than ovo-lacto vegetarians "in theory".

I think I am fine just getting 6 to 7 hours per night. Some days if I eat especially healthy(lots of vegetables and vegetable juices, no excessive eating), I feel that 5 and a half hours is alright. Any scientific evidence for this, if you're a vegetarian, do you think you need less sleep too?

Favorite Answer

I reckon you are on to something there tho at the moment my sleep pattern is kinda crazy as our 8 week old daughter wakes up every 2-4hrs for a feed & change! i am getting by alright and I know when I have had a day of raw foods I am particularly energised and don't need so much sleep! right now I would love a good 8-10hrs straight but before becoming a dad i usually was on 6-7! cheers

Source(s): 21 yrs veg (17vegan + 4yrs veg) & sleep deprived new dad thus I'm up at 3am on the internerd!

I am a 41yr YOUNG female that has embraced the vegetarian diet/lifestyle for the past 3 1/2 years (eating raw fish in the form of sushi and organic eggs from time to time....so I guess I m really considered a pescetarian;))

Anyhoo, I have noticed that as the years have gone by, not only has my energy level skyrocketed, I have been sleeping remarkably less and less at night. It s bizarre but I am feeling more rested and much more energetic when I do wake with less and less sleep. It started after about a year of eating my healthy "green" diet...I would wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed between 6am to 6:30, with NO alarm ever, constantly...no matter what time I go to sleep (usually I m in dreamland by 11:30/midnight). Then, just in the past 6mos (and like this morning!) I wake up on my own feeling rested and wide awake (still NO alarm) anywhere from 4am to 4:30. (*i always giggle when my wake time is exactly "4:20" hehe that happens quite a lot ;))

In closing, I am happier and healthier then I have ever been and I enjoy finding things to accomplish, like training with a personal trainer, cleaning house, reading/researching, playing with my animals, boyfriend😜

I absolute LOVE my life (and literally live MORE of it!) and guarantee I will be a pescetarian or full vegetarian (maybe even Vegan one day) for the rest of my blessed life here on this great Mother Earth💖💜💙👍👍😃

Hiya Steve MK.

I am a meat eater, but I for medical reasons have changed my diet to a healthier way of consumption. Since doing this, I require less sleep and when I am awake, I am more alert and energetic.

When a person changes to the veg-head way of life, they are in essence changing there eating habits from bad to better knocking out a lot of fats/cholesterol that do slow a person down. But this also may be done by people like me, a meat eater.

December of 2007 my cholesterol levels were 220, and most recently checked and found to be 130; a difference brought on by my watching what I put into my body, I did this while I still ate meat, I just watched what meat I put into it.I have twice the energy that I had in 2007, and sleep way less then I did.

Now I feel if you were to compare people who have chosen to become veg-heads, to those meat eaters that have chosen to alter there intake so to eat healthier, you'd find that more than likely the energy levels would be neck to neck the same.

Oh! My using veg-head as a classification for vegan/vegetarians is a honest term of endearment, much like from my youth Dead-Heads for those who followed the Greatful Dead, no disrespect meant and hope none taken.

Good luck with your poll, but just thought you should also get input from those in my classification of meat eaters.

• kain

confident, it rather is been studied and believed that the hassle-free vegetarian lives 7 years longer than an omnivore. they are much less in all danger so have a coronary heart attack or advance diabetes. Vegans stay even longer! I undergo in strategies seeing an Oprah prepare have been a 104 365 days previous lady got here on and confirmed all and sundry how healthy she became. She might nonetheless exercising consultation ordinary and decide for walks. She became additionally vegan, and that's a significant key factor as to why she is residing so long. think of approximately it, fantastically with vegans. you're keeping off all those undesirable ingredients from getting into your equipment. each and all of the hormones and fat from cow's milk and meat rather do no longer prepare you ways to. Vegetarians and vegans are additionally greater wakeful approximately what they eat so as that still enables. yet confident, foodstuff habitual is a huge factor and can truthfully help somebody stay to be a hundred+. yet you need to do it the splendid way. A vegan who eats apple and broccoli all day are patently no longer likely to stay very long on the grounds that they are barley getting an foodstuff. i think of an omnviore can stay as long as a vegan, yet they ought to be lots greater concious approximately what they eat and could make useful they do no longer eat too many processed ingredients.

Most of my life I needed about ten hours of sleep and never felt completely rested, I became a vegetarian and felt a slight increase in energy. Then I became full vegan and within two weeks I have more natural energy than ever before and sleep about 4 hrs a night and take a 1 hr nap in the afternoon.I also meditate for a hf hr.

I started eating vegan a month ago, and within two weeks, definitely noticed a difference in my sleep pattern. I'm now sleeping only 4-5 hours a night max versus the steady 6 hours prior. I'm learning how to use that time awake with purpose, but I sure appreciate a 20 minute nap in the afternoon. :)

How To Need Less Sleep

• Brook

I have been diagnosed as a "natural short sleeper." I am fully rested on three hours of sleep a night, but can get by on as little as twenty minutes. I've been a vegetarian for most of my life, but I don't think this has anything to do with that.

nah, i do not think so. nothing scientific that i can find that would back this up. Maybe your eating *healthier* with the whole grains fruits n vegetables and your utilizing this throughout the day so you have more energy and therefore need less sleep?? but honestly no science to back this up that i know of :)

Everbody needs 7.5 hours of sleep - no diet is going to change that.

You may very well have more energy based upon eating better foods, however that does not change the fact that your body needs rest.