How is it wrong to read the Bhagavad Gita when youre a Christian?

I am a student who is a christian growing in a christian family with a devoutly religious mother and in class I have to read this book on hinduism called the Bhagavad Gita. Its surrounds the subject of many "Gods" and "Goddess" in Indian culture and a caste system called brahmans, vedas, etc. Is it wrong to read a book about hinduism or should I tell the professor that i cant read ti due to my religion. I dont want to be selfish and rude but I just want to know if its directly condemnable.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

Do yourself a favor and read it even if you're not allowed to. It is a beautiful philosophical and spiritual book, filled with insights into the nature of Existence, the Self, God and everything in between. Just don't take it literally and see how it can be applied pragmatically and psychologically and you will learn a lot.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

What I don't like about many (if not most) versions of the Gita is that they come with a lot of commentary. People immediately attempt to tell you what you have just read and do not allow the words to sink in for personal interpretation.

If you really want to knock your socks off as a Christian, start reading the Upanishads!

These are some of the best and most intense spiritual wisdom that I have ever come across.

I obtained a cheap little pocket edition of the Bhagavad Gita without commentary at my local Hindu Temple and it is the best version that I have ever owned!

It is not a case of you can not read it because of your RELIGION...

It would be a case of you can not read it because your MOTHER doesn't want you to.

BIG difference!

When I went to a Christian college, Comparative Religion was a REQUIRED COURSE!

• 10 years ago

It is wise to study the recently understood and ascertained history of the development of the oldest organized religion of mankind with the oldest and most complete scripture as all others borrowed so heavily from the Vedic literature.

Please read and study the same and as a guide to assist , you might want to get a copy of "The Complete Idiots Guide to Hinduism, 2nd Edition" by Linda Johnsen.

namaste

• Read it so you can broaden your horizons.... and not come of an ignorant of course.

It one thing to read a book about things you don't believe and another to actually believe that rubbish.

lol. just saying.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

"Religion was born when the first con man met the first fool." --Mark Twain

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_writings

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.