SATA vs. SATA II Cable (Using a Solid State Drive)?

Quick question. I have a OCZ Vertex series 30gb Solid State Disk that is hooked up via a SATA (not SATA II) cable. Is there, or will I notice a difference between using a SATA cable and a "SATA II" cable? From what I've gathered, it won't make a difference if you're using a standard hard disk, since the disk itself doesn't support the max speed of the cables, but how about in the case of a SSD?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

No, it does not really matter whether you use a SATA or a SATA II cable because there is actually no true difference between the cables...both cables can transfer data at SATA II rates. The only difference is that a SATA II cable has a retainer clip now. The true difference between SATA and SATA II is the interface speed, and since the cables are the same, the only differences will be on the motherboard.

I am not a computer expert, but I believe that your SSD would actually utilize SATA II speeds when reading. I doubt that it would make very much real world difference. However, as long as your mobo supports SATA II, you don't have anything to worry about.

Hope that helped.

Go for the SSD as your boot disk. No moving parts should make it faster even with the difference in data speeds

I'd say since you're using SSD, the difference would be negligible.