SATA vs. SATA II Cable (Using a Solid State Drive)?

Quick question. I have a OCZ Vertex series 30gb Solid State Disk that is hooked up via a SATA (not SATA II) cable. Is there, or will I notice a difference between using a SATA cable and a "SATA II" cable? From what I've gathered, it won't make a difference if you're using a standard hard disk, since the disk itself doesn't support the max speed of the cables, but how about in the case of a SSD?

Thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, it does not really matter whether you use a SATA or a SATA II cable because there is actually no true difference between the cables...both cables can transfer data at SATA II rates. The only difference is that a SATA II cable has a retainer clip now. The true difference between SATA and SATA II is the interface speed, and since the cables are the same, the only differences will be on the motherboard.

I am not a computer expert, but I believe that your SSD would actually utilize SATA II speeds when reading. I doubt that it would make very much real world difference. However, as long as your mobo supports SATA II, you don't have anything to worry about.

Hope that helped.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Go for the SSD as your boot disk. No moving parts should make it faster even with the difference in data speeds

• 10 years ago

I'd say since you're using SSD, the difference would be negligible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.