Is the Grand Piano the King of all musical instruments?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano

If not, then what instrument is?

Favorite Answer

From a personal point of view, YES!

It is such a versitile instrument, easily used in music of any genre, and moving through different 'parts' or 'sections' of music. Whilst it is regarded as being amongst the Strings, some pianists {such as Christine McVie} feel they are in fact part of the rhythm section...

Side note :

I'd actually say it's the *Queen* of instruments

It just makes sense to me that pianos are females ~ why else refer to some of them as 'the old joanna'...?! They have style, class {even battered uprights}, lady-like curves :)

I'm going to be a maverick and suggest the organ instead - but as a monarch big on grandiose (but rather pointless and often outdated) ceremony rather than being helpful and versatile. The organ is as hard as a piano to play, except you have to ALSO play with your feet. A pianist has (mostly) one pedal to worry about, and it's pretty much either on or off. An organist has to be able to play C# melodic minor with his feet.

Only an orchestra can beat the fullness (and volume!) of a large organ and that and the sheer size and complexity of it surely make it a candidate for King Of All Instruments.

Definitely.

A long and rich history dating back to who knows when. It's used in Classical (obviously), Jazz, Rock, Pop, some country, and tons more.

The sounds of a piano can relax you, and you have to face it that everyone respects a great piano player. It's also very handy when learning other instruments after learning piano (i've learned that first hand), after playing piano, playing the trumpet and guitar came much easier.

Yes, it is. It is one of the most difficult instruments to play, because it usually requires two hands that can play many different chords.It requires more focus This is opposed to lets say a saxophone, where to hands are used two create only one note. Its the king of all musical instruments because you can play in both Bass AND Treble Clefs, while other instruments its one or the other (but usually Treble).

Source(s): Piano and Alto Saxophone Player.

A Baby Grand is easier to move in and takes up less space, but even those are $20,000 and up.

The title 'King of Instruments' has ALWAYS been given to the organ.

For practicality, portability, range of expression, ease of use, there is no question.

It's the human voice.

As proof, I offer that many instrumental pieces have the expression mark "cantabile" (in a singing style). I have never seen "Tuba-bile" or anything like it.

I think it is!

It can imitate any other instruments, even though it is percussion. It can imitate strings, other percussion instruments, singers, horns, etc.

But that's just me:)

Source(s): 11 years of piano
  • Greg

Pipe organ.

No way man - the triangle. You need alot of skill to play that thing :P