Lv 4
Axer asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Are machine guns legal to purchase? Where?

I'm thinking along the lines of a M240B, the kind with 7.62mm rounds. Don't ask why I want one, just answer the question.

18 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    If you are an American citizen living in a state that does not bar private possession of an NFA (National Firearms Act of 1934) weapon, have the price of a nice car, the approval of your local police chief or county sheriff, can pass and are willing to wait months for a major-league background check, have $200.00 for the tax stamp and are willing to let the authorities know whenever you take it anywhere, then yes, you can have your very own SAW.

    However, since you said "don't ask why I want one, just answer the question," I have a funny feeling that one or more of the conditions above don't apply to you. Because that's one of the questions you are bound to get asked along the way and it will be asked by someone who can bring your dreams of machine gun ownership crashing down in a heartbeat.

    However, if you suppress your attitude and get though everything described above, you will need to place your order with a Class III FFL (one licensed to deal in NFA weapons), put down the purchase price, which is likely to be in the $20,000 to $30,000 range, fill out your paperwork, get the necessary permissions, photos, fingerprints, etc., and sent them to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE). If all goes well, in a few months you will receive some paperwork and a stamp about the size of a postage stamp. That stamp goes on the Form 4473 and you can go home with your new machine gun.

    Incidentally, this applies to any machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, suppressor, destructive device, etc., etc.

    FYI: Choose the weapon of your heart's desire carefully; a civilian cannot purchase a machine gun that was not registered as a privately held weapon prior to 1986. That means all the nifty new full-auto weapons are off limits unless you are a law enforcement agency (individual officers can't buy them, either) or a Class III firearms dealer who acquires them as demonstration weapons for law enforcement customers.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    For the best answers, search on this site

    If you are a regular civilian (meaning not a police department, military, or FFL/SOT) then the machine gun must be "transferrable." This means that it was made and registered with the BATFE before 19 May 1986 when the Hughes Amendment was passed outlawing the new manufacture and registration of all machine guns for civilian use. If you find one, then as long as your state and local laws do not ban the possession of them, it is perfectly legal. You just need to purchase a $200 tax stamp from the Department of the Treasury, be at least 21, have no prior criminal record, go through an extensive FBI background check, be a legal citizen of this country, get 2 passport photos, 2 sets of fingerprint cards, and wait about 60-90 days. You can always find one or two at the first link below. The second, third, and fourth links are ads for some that I found on the site. They are going for around $25-44,000. I own a registered receiver M16 (machine gun... full auto). For $236,000, you can legally own a mini gun.

  • 1 decade ago

    Machine Guns-- Private & Corporate Ownership

    It is a common misconception that machine guns cannot be owned by law-abiding citizens. This comes from the creation of a variety of confusing laws that have made purchasing a full-auto gun more difficult than purchasing a "normal" gun. But, if you can comply with the law, you may qualify to own a machine gun.

    First a brief history: In May of 1986, certain laws went into effect that made it illegal for 'civilians' to own fully automatic firearms that were manufactured AFTER THAT DATE. Many fully automatic weapons manufactured, registered and tax paid BEFORE MAY, 1986, MAY BE OWNED BY AND SOLD TO INDIVIDUALS. The full-auto guns that may be owned by individuals are called 'transferable'. Some states DO NOT allow machine gun ownership at all, no matter when the gun was made, but many states do.

    To purchase a transferable machine gun, you must meet certain requirements (generally the same as when you purchase another gun, but with additional scrutiny), fill out special paperwork (called a 'form 4'), and pay a $200, one-time, transfer tax. Every time a machine gun is transferred, the $200 tax must be paid-- usually by the purchaser. The steps to take to purchase a transferable machine gun are:

    1.Find a dealer locally who can assist you in all phases of the transfer. This should go beyond helping you fill out the paperwork: they should help you locate the gun if it isn't in stock and allow you to shoot the gun while your paperwork is being processed by the BATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms). It will usually take 4-6 weeks for the dealer to get the gun from another dealer if they don't already have it in stock (due to BATF paperwork delays).

    2.Get your fingerprints (either by a police dept. or by a qualified fingerprinter, two imprints are needed) and two passport sized pictures taken. These will be used to perform a comprehensive criminal background check on you.

    3.Have your local dealer help you fill out an "Application for Tax Paid Transfer And Registration Of Firearm" for, known as a "form 4".

    4.You must have the signature of the Chief Law Enforcement (CLEO) officer that has jurisdiction over the municipality in which you live on the form 4. This could be the City Chief or the County Sheriff, for example. This is usually not a problem-- in machine gun friendly states. The form 4, CLEO signature, 2 fingerprint cards, 2 pictures, and a $200 check (your one-time transfer tax) must all be mailed to the BATF and an approved tax stamp returned before you may take possession of the gun. This may take anywhere from 2 to 5 months.

    So now that you know that your not going to get a M240B there were made after 1986... however you might be able to get the older M60

  • 1 decade ago

    These people saying you need a license are idiots who know nothing of the law.

    To sell them you need a class III Federal Firearms License. To buy them you need a 200 dollar tax stamp, approval from the BATF after you fill out a ream of paper work, and the money to purchase one if it is legal to do so in your state. Some states a Machine gun is illegal, but in others they are legal.

    Now a stipulation in this law is that any machine gun made or imported after 1986 is not legal, so you are limited to pre 1986 firearms.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Since everybody else is either Canadian or has no idea what they're talking about I'll answer your question.

    You don't need a LICENSE for a machine gun, and they are legal in most states. Machine guns that civilians can own had to have been registered before May of 1986, therefore there are only a limited amount of civvie-legal machine guns in circulation and their prices rise every year. Also for obvious reasons only machine guns that existed before that date are available, you won't be finding any TDI Vectors or H&K UMPs.

    To purchase one (legally) you need to fill out an ATF application and pay a $200, then wait for the ATF to check you out and approve you. Once everything is approved your new machine gun will be registered to you (all NFA items must be registered at the federal level even if your state doesn't require registration).

    So in summary you just need to a) live in a state where machine guns are legal, b) fill out an application and pass a background check, and b) pay a $200 tax along with whatever obscene price your machine gun demands (sh*tty M11s go for around $3000, M16A1s are closer to $15,000). It takes a few months for everything to clear before you can enjoy your new-to-you bullet-hose.

  • 6 years ago

    This Site Might Help You.


    Are machine guns legal to purchase? Where?

    I'm thinking along the lines of a M240B, the kind with 7.62mm rounds. Don't ask why I want one, just answer the question.

    Source(s): machine guns legal purchase where:
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    They exist. As long as you pass a strict federal background check and apply and pay the federal and state tax stamp. A machine gun is yours. As to where to get them. Ohio Ordnance works makes new ones from spare parts (M249, m249, ) and Extensively rebuilds vintage ones (M1919)

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    yes they are legal to purchase, the problem lies with finding one and getting the proper licenses and living in the proper area for it.

    your best bet is to look for gun shows supplying Class III firearms, but they are rare and extremely expensive, commonly costing into the 4-5 figures area, then there's the issue of licensing, you need to pay a $200 tax stamp to the government for owning it, then get your class III license to own it, then there's the issue of local laws, some states and localities have either restricted or banned the possession of certain firearms(most include class III, some or all) to the public within their borders, so if you live in one of these states or localities, either move or forget about buying one.

  • 4 years ago

    240b Machine Gun

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    M240b For Sale

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.