Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Christians, what if you're wrong?

The girl at Dawkins' Randolph-Macon lecture thought that she had made a point. Dawkins gave an answer that made a lot of atheists happy, but probably offended a lot of Christians. Ok, so if I'm wrong (I don't really count--I already fear that I'm going to hell), but say, if Dawkins is wrong, he's going to burn in hell with me. But what if you're wrong about Allah? Allah says that to believe that Jesus is god is a damnable offense. How can you justify your confidence in the face of millions of devout, sincere Muslims who genuinely believe that they're having a personal relationship with god? How could you take their faith away by telling them that they are actually worshiping a demon? Or something false that you can't even have a relationship with? Like an idol? Wouldn't that be cruel?

Favorite Answer

I have to sincerely, fairly and honestly compare the claims of each belief system with my observed reality.

For example, in studying the Bible I find that there are certain areas where we can test Biblical claims (Observable science, Historical science, Self consistency, Logical consistency, Prophetic fulfillment etc). Having thus far demonstrated reliability in these areas, it is perfectly reasonable to believe that the Bible is also reliable in claims that are untestable (ie. supernatural claims).

Now concerning Allah, the Quran teaches that Christians worship three gods. The trinity is a difficult concept to understand however there is no respected Christian theologian (That is, a theologian respected by Christians) that would agree that Christians worship three gods. That claim is a lie regarding the beliefs of Christians. Therefore, the Quran does not have the level of inerrancy that I would expect from a God-inspired text.

I also have experience with God. I understand that my experience has no weight of evidence for those who haven't experienced God. Nevertheless, your question was in regards to the reasons for my own confidence in my own belief system.

Your questions could be turned around this way:

But what if you're wrong about Jesus? Jesus says that to believe that Allah is god is a damnable offense. How can you justify your confidence in the face of millions of devout, sincere Christians who genuinely believe that they're having a personal relationship with god? How could you take their faith away by telling them that they are actually worshiping a demon? Or something false that you can't even have a relationship with? Like an idol? Wouldn't that be cruel?

All of the monotheistic religions teach that theirs is the only way to God. What makes Christianity different is that it is based on grace and forgiveness, not on works and earning God's favor.

Since one (who does not believe) won't find out till it's over. The truth is found in The Word. The Bible is the ONLY prophetic book with a 100% track record, and true, pure science VALIDATES The Bible at every encounter, which, is of no surprise, since it was written there, before man had a clue. Where do ya think all these "brilliant" minds got the ideas to puzzle out? Myself, have seen the physical hand of The Almighty move, saving my life, and the life of my eldest daughter. There are many other instances which I could tell. The bottom line is I don't believe, I KNOW!!! So, being wrong, well, that just isn't an option for me, I KNOW the truth, and I'm free!

• J D

The God of Islam is the same God of Christianity which is the same God of the Jews. This is the God of Abraham. As a Christian I believe us all to be brethren. We all, of each of these religions, forget many things that we are taught. Many of us are led astray by men of flesh to think differently than we should. Allah is the greatest because Allah is the same God of my religion. Judge not lest ye be judged right? We all differ beyond the recognition of this same God.

I truly believe in Christ and his atonement, but I also believe that anyone who seeks God will find him and feel his spirit, no matter what form they are searching for, whether it be Allah or Elohim or Zues or Father Spirit or Mother Earth or any number of names we call him.

If I'm wrong about Christ and his gospel, than at least my faith and study have made this life a better one for me, and hopefully for the people I come in contact with.

You had better investigate this for your self and forget about the consequences of everyone else. Remember that only 8 people were saved in the Ark during the flood - everyone else died. Isn't that cruel? But it was true. Everyone was warned for 120 years. They did not listen.

Here's a link to what you were talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mmskXXetcg

Youtube thumbnail

I put all gods down equally because they're all ridiculous.

I only believe in the advancement of humanity.

Pascal's Wager only works with Ceiling Cat, buddy.

• ?

Religions are far more than just cruel, they're very often deadly, even genocidal. It's best to stay away from all of them!

Dawkins and the girl are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG...and you can quote me on that!

That's all folks, that's the truth.