Is a Alaskan Malamute a good family dog?

My family and I have been wanting a family dog, and I suggested we get a Alaskan Malamute. Before we get an Alaskan Malamute though, we wanted to know if this would be a good family dog.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

Nope-Alaskan Malamute were never intendent to be family pets-they are serious working dog

The rugged Alaskan Malamute is a working dog, best suited to people who love the great outdoors. He plays vigorously and is most content when pulling or packing a load (sledding, ski-joring, weight pulling, backpacking), especially in cold weather. This breed should not be kept in a hot climate.

Alaskan Malamutes are very challenging to train and live with. Without sufficient exercise and challenging things to do, Malamutes become rambunctious and bored, which they usually express by chronic howling and destructive chewing. Bored Alaskan Malamutes are famous for chewing through drywall, ripping the stuffing out of sofas, and turning your yard into a moonscape of giant craters.

Animal-aggression is a major concern. The Alaskan Malamute can be so aggressive with other dogs of the same sex that two males or two females should not be kept together. When this breed fights, the battles can be serious and bloody. Malamutes can be predatory with smaller pets -- I would not keep a Malamute with a cat unless the pair has grown up together. When outdoors, Malamutes must be securely confined behind a high fence, for they can be escape artists with strong exploratory instincts. Once loose, they won't come back when you call them and they may run deer and molest livestock.

With their wolfish appearance, Alaskan Malamutes may look like intimidating protectors, but most Mals are very friendly with everyone and make miserable watchdogs. Still, this is a substantial, powerful breed, so it is essential to socialize youngsters so they grow up to trust and respect people.

This self-reliant breed will test for position in the family pecking order. Unless you establish yourself as the alpha (number one), he can be headstrong and demanding. Unneutered males, especially, can be very dominant and possessive of their food.

Good Family dog breeds

Labrador

Golden Retriever

Standard Poodle

Bichon Frise

Border Terrier

Dandie Dinmont Terrier

Flat-coated retriver

Curly-coated retriever

English Springer Spaniel

Welsh Springer Spaniel

Bernese Mountain Dog

Standard Schnauzer

Miniature Schazuer

• 10 years ago

Great family dogs... for the right family.

Malamutes are HIGH drive, HIGH energy, harder to train dogs with high prey drive. They need near constant mental stimulation and exercise. They are not low key dogs and won't just lay around when you don't want to do anything. They can develop behavioral problems quite easily if they aren't provided with the proper training, exercise, or mental stimulation.

I would not recommend a Malamute, Husky, or anything similar for novice owners.

Please do some serious research. If you think a breed may be interesting, then use google and type in "(breed) club of america" and read over the parent club website you find. Choose a breed that matches you and your family, both your lifestyle and requirements.

Source(s): Owned by Mutt
  • 10 years ago

I had a red and white malamute for 4 yrs. We got her as a puppy from an animal shelter. She was a wonderful dog. Unfortionately, she died when she was 4 due to the tainted food from china. They are very happy and energetic dog but also life of the party fun. They love their family and are very smart. They can be hard to train if they are an untrained adult. They live life to their own rules. If you have small animals, I would suggest a puppy that can get used to them early. Great with kids but they can knock little kids down by accident. You have to get used to a talking dog. They love their voice. Their type of talk is woo wooing. They actually try to talk to you in their own way but they are noisy doing it.

Source(s): Malamute daughter named Sienna.
  • 10 years ago

Malamutes are wonderful dogs but they require a lot of exercise, room to run and a strong training regiment, plus they are a large breed and any interaction with young children would need to be carefully supervised.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Hi,

Alaskan Malamutes will win you over with their playful, outgoing dispositions. They greet everyone as a friend even strangers and first-time house guests so they don't make good watchdogs, but they are extremely loyal to their family and friends. Here are more info:

http://fooxohz.notlong.com

• 10 years ago

It's a great family dog for the right family. This isn't a great first time dog and needs the right handler. They are work dogs that require mental and physical stimulation to be happy and proper training. If you are not familiar with this breed (or any breed you want to add to your family), please research it thoroughly before getting it. Good luck :)

• 10 years ago

ALLLLLL dogs can be good family dogs with the proper training and care. but, as far as the reputation of the breed, be careful if you have other small animals. but they are very reliable and caring dogs, can be great with kids.

Source(s): Im a dog trainer, and i worked at an animal shelter
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.