Nathan asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

I need to know any information on Hanna Woods. She was born in 1860 in Missouri.?

I saw the 1870 Census record for Missouri and I found Hanna Woods. She is age 10 and this is all I know. I was hoping anyone could tell me anymore information on this person. I believe this is my native american ancestor but I don't know how to get any more information. In 1880 she married John Randall and moved to Nebraska. So if anyone could help me find any information in Hanna Woods, I would greatly appreciate it. Again, all I found was the 1870 census records of Hanna before she was married. I am trying to find what tribe she is from and maybe her parents names. Please help.....

Thank You

Favorite Answer

Looking at the 1880 census for the Randall Family in Richardson Co NE which lists race as white for wife Hanna age 20 b. MO.

The 1870 MO Cole County Jefferson Twsp census with a Hanna Woods age 10 listed as race "Black" in the household of a William Tore who is Black and his wife and children listed as Mulatto. (1880 William and family has last name Fore still in Jefferson City).

Are you sure the 1870 Hanna is your 1880 Hanna? There is another married Hanna b. abt 1860 in MO who is listed as Black still in MO. Plus more with the name Hannah.

There is another 1870 Hanna Woods born in MO age 7 in parents household in St Louis MO. Before the registering of births at a county court house I have seen ages vary for the same person from census and family information by as much as 10 yrs.

So unless you know your Hanna was living in Cole County before her marriage then you might be looking up the wrong person. By the way where were John Randall and Hanna married?

As for really finding anything prior to 1870 or any proof the "Black" Hanna was not and was NA probably cannot be proved, at least not with online sources. That kind of research will require going to Richardson Co and Cole Co to do research at churches, libraries and archives.

Source(s): Ancestry.com