Angela
Angela asked in HealthMental Health · 10 years ago

Is depression real, or is it an excuse people use for being apathetic and lazy?

OK, after receiving 14 answers I'll explain myself. I am also severely depressed, but none of my friends/family care because they just think I'm apathetic and lazy. I've been to the doctor and have tried several different meds and talk therapy too, but my doc took me off the meds because they were causing worse side effects than they were doing any good. Talk therapy hasn't helped either. I used to exercise vigorously to lift my depression, but my arthritis is making that very difficult these days. I just wanted to know how other people felt about this question. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

*Is depression real? - Yes

*Do some people fake having depression to get sympathy/handouts/out of doing things? - Probably

*Do people who are actually depressed ever use that as an excuse to be lazy? - Yes (I used to do it all the time and I know others who have done it too.)

Clinical Depression is a combination of an imbalance of chemicals in the brain, family history, pessimistic personality, trauma and stress, physical conditions, and other psychological disorders. It is more than just feeling sad or down every once in a while (that's completely normal). It is prolonged periods of extremely low mood, irritability, fatigue, hopelessness, aversion to activity, isolating, low self-esteem, and low self-image.

• Marcia

Overcome your Depression Without Medication

This is actually a really good question despite what the other people said. I find myself depressed pretty often and I don't know if its really brain chemicals or if I'm just too insecure or scared to try and make my life better. The truth about psychology is that its not an exact science its just a group of theories and until we completely map the human brain we'll never really know for sure.

Depression is just a word to describe what people are experiencing when they are sadder than usual. Don't believe the theories they teach at Uni's, They are just theories. Many people find it difficult to "cope" with the reality of life. Rather than being resilient and learning how the coping skills they require, they "give up" on themselves and the opportunities life presents to them. It may well be that certain people are genetically predisposed to acquire such a state of mind, but that doesn't mean it's a life sentence. So, just as you may believe in a God (I don't), I choose to believe that depression is a symptom of a person's failure to adapt/accept the reality of their existence.

• SJR5 years agoReport

No depression is not a word to describe people sadder then they usually are. You feel nothing just a empty person, with nothing to live for. It's real and it is a mental illness.

Stop Depression - Overcome your Depression Without Medication - http://stopdepresion.info/effective-way-60.html

Method to overcome depression and anxiety without pills and expensive therapies.

You will cure your depression just by following him directions. It is a simple, fast and effective method.

+) Find food for treating depression.

+) Stop taking pills.

+) Never relapse again.

+) Apply an effective method to discover and eliminate the root problem.

Method provide the "key" to your new life, for you will be able to:

+) Have more confidence in yourself.

+) Sleep better and feel more relaxed, with no stress.

+) Be comfortable with yourself and with other people.

+) Stop anxiety attacks.

Get it Now! - http://stopdepresion.info/effective-way-60.html

Enjoy every day as you did before and Start feeling fulfilled and enjoying the things you do

Source(s): A simple, fast and effective way to cure depression - http://stopdepresion.info/effective-way-60.html

It's both biologically and mentally real,depending on the case, in the academic world it is taught in college courses.

Of course the study of psychology broadens and you can mislabel a patient, the term depression is functional and well to do to describe issues a certain individual may have.

On the flip side it provides certain treatments that can treat a persons mental/ physical aliment (symptoms).

depression is definitely real.

but some people who dont have it use it as an excuse.

in order to know if someone has it they would need to go to a dr.

this website explains the causes of depression

http://www.womentowomen.com/menstruation/irregular...

40000 Cured Social Anxiety : http://SocialAnxiety.uzaev.com/?SkTF

I suppose it COULD be used as an excuse.

It is pretty well accepted in the medical community that it results from an imbalance of serotonin &/or dopamine in the brain.

Source(s): I am a psych nurse.

I'm going to asume your are young, extremely ignorant, or both. And to answer your question, yes it's real. It is a mental illness that effects a lot of people. I have struggled with it for over two years now and am still not over it. Its frustrating when you try several medications and therapy, but don't get the result you want. I'm somewhat offended that you even asked this. I mean do you think all the severely deppressed people who killed themselves did it for apathy? Think next time before asking something like this.