Does anyone else think Bob Dylan is the most overrated musician ever?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Bob Dylan sucks (I absolutely love "You Gotta Serve Somebody"), but considering the praise he receives, like how he's considered one of the best musicians of all times, I think he is EXTREMELY overrated. Keep in mind, Dylan fans, that overrated is not the same as "bad", I just think the praise and acclaim he receives greatly outweighs his actual talent, at least in my opinion. It seems he gets major points just because he talked about issues, but I dunno, does that really make his music better?

I would put him in the top 50 or 75 musicians of all time, but it seems as if he's widely considered one of the top 2 or 3, which really makes no sense to me.

Favorite Answer

I completely disagree. Bob Dylan is awesome, and he is hardly ever rated. I think that he is underrated, if anything. Check out all these modern "musicians" who just love to use things like auto-tune. I'll probably get some thumbs down by saying this, but here's a few of the musicians that I believe are very overrated nowadays.

Jonas Brothers

Michael Jackson

Keisha

Britney Spears

Miley Cyrus

Justin Bieber

Lada gaga

Beyonce

Rihanna

not at all. he is one of the most underrated musicians, as evident by the rest of these responses. no one seems to respect him as a musician or a singer, only as a songwriter, but he was incredible and innovative as an arranger and had the sort of stirring soulful voice that gives a song power and depth. he was eclectic and he really knew and loved american music and it showed in his arrangements.

edit: apologies to sad eyed lady and jimmy jazz who posted while i was writing.

one last thing- you say he's considered top 2 or 3 and you think he's top 50 or 75? how is that extremely overrated? i would call that "well within the margin of error to not really say overrated" i mean seriously, there are a million bands out there.

I actually think he is underrated. In 50 years he has rarely written a bad song, not just lyrically (which are as good and sometimes better than a lot of the great poets) but muscally awell, he has written some of the most beautiful melodies in the history of recorded music.

He has produced more classic albums than any other artist I can think of and is still producing them, 2006's 'Modern Times' for example.

His voice is an aquired taste, I personally love it, he puts so much feeling into his singing and his timing is the best I've ever heard, try singing a Dylan song and fitting those words into that limited number of bars of music, don't now how he does it.

His technical command of his medium and knowledge are excellent. A very talented artist. Not for everybody, naturally, because this is the arts. Whatever works for you, man. I might compare him to other musical artists. Among my favorites are George Gershwin, Richard Rogers, John Lennon, Irving Berlin, Max Steiner. But compare Beethoven, Bach, Mozart. Will his reputation be on their level in 100+ years? Wait 20 years and ask yourself again.

THE best songwriter of all time. He has written hundreds of songs, each one completely relevant to our lives. Also, he is easily the most humble celebrity, but considering his immense talent, even if he were arrogant, we would all put up with it because he is that good. Dylan's music is passionate, heart wrenching, joyful, spiritual and dark.

Check out his poem, " Last thoughts on Woody Guthrie", if you disagree. That will change your mind forever.

Never was , is , or will be overrated.

• Ryan H

No that's where Michael Jackson steps in nobody gives a damn about him until he dies and then everybody acts like he's a music god,Bob Dylan is awesome how dare you

I don't. Like you said overrated means you don't get the praise he receives. That's probably because you don't understand the impact he had on music or really grasp what actual talent it is that he has.

• Stuie

Overrated maybe a little but most overrated is a bit extreme.

I don't know , I've never found anyone's lyrics to be so good as Bob Dylan's

I don't think he's overrated

He wrote some good songs. But I don't like his music very much. I'd put him into the top 500 though for writing Mr Tambourine Man and a couple others.