Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Uninsured & confused by heath care?

I live in Wisconsin, Married. My husband and myself work seasonal jobs and aren't insured. There is no way we could afford insurance ourselves, it's just not possible.

My question is: How is this health care bill going to help us?

I'm so confused, I keep hearing on TV that we are going to be forced to buy insurance? Is that correct?

We make less than $40,000 a year also.

Thanks for all the info so far, it's helping alot.

Also we are childless adults.

Favorite Answer

if your employer doesn't offer it, then you will have a few options, 1. your state medicaid program will now be required to insure childless adults, the poverty cap has been raised so say a family of 4 can make 88,000 and still qualify for medicaid. 2. You can purchase insurance from any number of companies as they are required now to make rates affordable. 3. Employers now have to offer insurance or be fined. They will get a tax credit for every employee they insure to help reduce their costs so they can afford to insure their employees.

The maximum fine for not having insurance is 2500.00 if you can afford insurance and are not purchasing it. If you cant afford it the government will help. Taxes will only being going up on people who make over 200,000.00 a year.

I wish people would actually read the bill instead of listening to talking points on crazy tv shows and from disgruntled politicians.

Source(s): I'm a benefit coordinator for a non profit that gets benefits for the diabled, poor, returning vets etc. We have studied this bill for months.

Richard is wrong. Unless you make 200k+ - which it seems you don't.

I'm not sure how it works. I know it's a family of 4 making below 88k a year receive a subsidy. But if it's just you and your husband I don't know the figures. Chances are you are going to receive a subsidy and yes - there is a mandate to purchase health care.

But that's a long ways away. Most of the major pieces of the bill don't go into effect until 2014+.

i do no longer see the place anybody is against what you assert. I ran out of money paying lots for wellness care yet I made too lots for help. So I dropped coveage & it became $1200 while i became going to purchase it lower back (diabetes) Then i mandatory meds reason I felt i became demise. So i got here upon a place that became what you will possibly call socialized drugs & they have been so nice they helped me come again to functioning lower back. I have been given a activity with wellness care & it became terrible care & i began out getting sick between that & they exhaustion from my interest. I worked in a scientific institution that does no longer enable me take a snack breat & I only approximately sense on the floor from low blood sugar. So I supply up & in case you rather understood the perfect factors of what it value to no longer insure human beings you will possibly comprehend we will not pay greater. I pay 0 proper now & if I have been paying some hundred low priced funds it would have been contributing yet on the grounds that i can not have adequate money $1200 a month I make a contribution 0. i think of you do no longer understand the finished image it rather is the version between a dem & a rep. Dems actual do each thing that saves funds so on an analogous time as they are in many situations referred to as liberal they are actual saving the main. Reps. ***** approximately abortion then ***** approximately human beings having teenagers they might't have adequate money. The ***** bearing directly to the lazy human beings on welfare yet they are those that wanted this human beings to advance up in residences which could no longer furnish for them nicely so while they have been given older & had no transportation to a activity so they did no longer paintings & only went into the cycle of poverty the reps. *****.

we will all be required to buy insurance but you may be eligible for a subsidy, based on your income.

"about 19 million are likely to be eligible for financial aid.

The cutoff level would be an income of four times the federal poverty level. For one person, that’s about $44,000 a year. For a family of four, the comparable figure is about $88,000.

Subsidies would be figured on a sliding scale, with those who make less getting a bigger boost and those nearer the top getting a smaller one.

The formula is pretty complicated. Basically, though, people who make three or four times the poverty level would get enough federal money so that they would not have to pay more than about 10 percent of their income for a decent health insurance package.

People who make less would have to pay a smaller slice of their income for coverage. For instance, individuals who make about $14,000, and four-person families with incomes of about $29,000, would not have to pay more than 3 to 4 percent of their incomes for insurance.

And those who make even less – under 133 percent of the federal poverty level – would be able to enroll in a newly expanded Medicaid program."

all of our taxes will be going up, however, to pay for this.

"

The health care reform legislation provides for subsidies for individuals and families to pay for premiums.

The highest income level eligible for subsidies is for a family of four earning approximately $88,000.

The interactive link below provides information on the subsidies and other parts of the reform legislation.

• rrm38

Medicaid will be expanded to cover anyone earning 133% of poverty level and below, so if you fall within that income range you'll qualify for Medicaid. Subsidies to help cover premiums will be offered for any family earning $88K/year or less. Anyone earning over $88K/year won't qualify for subsidies of any sort. Of course, the assistance really doesn't kick in until 2013, so no help is in the immediate future for anyone.

The best part about this is you will have your own insurance so you are not bound to your job. Its yours, take it with you. The people that are stuck to their job because of health care can now start their own business and have it.

I think it depends on your income, you might given health insurance. However if you make decent money you will be buying it.

Yes you will be required to purchase healthcare, failure to do so will result in a hefty fine and possible jail time. Although the healthcare reform bill is supposed to make insurance more affordable for you as well. Do you know how they're going to pay to insure the 12 million uninsured Americans? They're jacking up taxes! Gota love the gov't!

you will be covered by the healthcare plan...the details will be fleshed out very soon state by state.

Source(s): What you should know about the Healthcare Reform Bill? its under politics and governmet.