Emily asked in SportsCycling · 10 years ago

What kind I bike should I get? Hybrid, Cyclocross, Road bike, or Touring Bike?

I cycle around the city everyday, in London, which has lots stopping and starting, traffic lights, roundabouts, parked car doors opening, need for fast reacting to sudden movements from vehicles around etc.

I love triathlon and I love to go fast and would like a bike that I could use for this too. I do about 3 triathlons a year.

If I were to have a bike with racer drop handle bars though, I would like to have special bars that can be used to break quickly without having to lean down and use the drop handlebar breaks each time - this is important in London I think. Is it possible to find these break bars and what are they officially called if so?

It is essential that I can have a bike that can have accessories mounted such as mud guards and a back rack for putting shopping or work into.

But, what ever bike I have must be light to carry as I often have to carry it up and down station steps and everyday I have to lift it up high onto a hook on the wall in the hall way of my house. So I definately don't want a heavy steel bike.

However, I do need a bike that can withstand going over cobbles (I even did a triathlon that had a cobbled road part to it actually) and rough and bumpy streets and can withstand even going up and down curbs cheekily when no one is around and I'm in a hurry and going across some rugged parks - I am a real city rider, which is a bit like cross country. Actually I would love to do cyclocross, which is a bit like my city riding!

So, in summary I need the following in one bike:

- Fast city cycling with lots of stopping and starting at traffic lights etc. (about 1-3K per day)

- Break bars in place so I don't have to drop down to the drop bars each time to break

- Light enough for me carrying up and down station stairs

- Needs to have wheels and tyres that can withstand cycling over cobbled streets and maybe the odd going up and down some curbs and going across parks when cycling in the city.

- Must be able to have mudguards fitted

- Must be able to have back rack fitted

- Fast for triathlons (10-20K)

- Fast for triathlon training during the year

- It'd be nice for it to look cool when with my mates for triathlon training during the year

- It'd be nice to have a basket fitted on the front for shopping. Can you have a front basket fitted to drop handlebars? And would it get in the way of break bars?

I've never done touring and although it sounds like a good idea I doubt I'd actually do it. I just take the bike on the train. 60k is probably the maximum distance I would do in a day, but this would be rare. I usually do 1-3k everyday and sometimes 10-20K.

What type of bike do you think I should get?

Thanks for answering Muffin Man. Problem is I really don't like mountain bikes and would never consider getting one (which is why is wasn't in my option list).

I like to go fast, fast, fast and want to use the bike for triathlons.

I find mountain bikes are slow, heavy and totally inappropriate for fast city riding as well as racing.

I had a mountain bike once and for years I thought I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Kept going to the doctors who found nothing wrong with me. Then I changed my bike and I had a new lease of life!! Wow! It really makes a difference to have a good and fast bike and I would never get a mountain bike. I only hire them if I am doing a cross country triathlon but I have not use for them at any other time.

I've already got a hybrid. It's an old, heavy steel framed Rayleigh which is about 15 years old. I love it. I go fast on it. My triathlete friends laugh at it. It's great cycling around London on it and it never gets stolen.

Maybe I should just get a road bike especially for triathlons then but I'd only use it a few times a year, so maybe I should hire one in the weeks before. People say riding my heavy steel hybrid is good training!! When I go onto a road bike I go really fast.

Thanks for all your answers guys! I was worried no one would read through all that!

Thanks again!

Best Answer

I have a giant sedona dx these bikes are amazing can go from street to mountain biking with out change of tires and climb hills super easy

the womens model http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/se...

the mens model http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/se...

here is the cypress its is also avaliable in a womens model http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/cy...

I figured a mountain bike wont have much trouble on the road but a road bike will have much trouble off the road. ==correct So if I wanted to take time off mountain/trail biking and go road biking, would a decent mountain bike be efficient or would I be hurting myself in the long run? ==no it isn;t efficient ==esp with knobby tires ==get some slick ones and put those on when you want to ride road that helps a lot then you can change them back for dirt ==hurting yourself? no not at all, it is just slower than a road bike anyone on a real road bike will outrun you with way less effort ==but @#$ them, do what you want Also what about hybrid bikes? are those any good? ==yes they can be but they are usually only middle of the road, performance and quality wise anyone serious about cycling will not have a hybrid . sorry wle

I own several bikes, and if I had to pick only one, it would be my touring bike. Drop handlebars are by far the most versatile type for all around riding. If your brake levers are set up properly, you ride most of the time with your hands on the hoods of the brake levers and you can use the brake levers from that position, if you prefer riding with your hands on the tops of the bars, you can install interrupter levers that you can reach from that position. You can install aero bars for use in a triathlon, and you can also install tires wide enough that you can ride off road like a cyclocross bike. A basket might be difficult to mount on drop bars, but a rear rack can mount open panniers that would serve the same function. If I could only own 1 bike, it would be my touring bike even though I own road bikes that are worth almost 10 times as much.

Emily

They don't make that bike .... they could I suppose, but don't because it would be able to do it all, but not well. You would need interchangeable wheels and handlebars, and have to do too many adjustments to flip back and forth. The other reason is that it would fit too few riders needs, and there is just no market for it.

For your needs a hybrid bike seems best for you. The road / tri bike would be way to responsive, and rough riding, for your daily needs. The Hybrid, with its upright sitting position, wider tires, and road type gearing would meet your needs best. It will be fast, comfortable, light weight, and safe in your riding environment. Just make sure that the hybrid you buy has smooth street worthy tires on it, and not mtn style knobby tires. They should be thinner tires, probably the 650c x 38c or 700c x 38c wide. The thinner the better for speed, but you do need the larger tires for the cobbles. Talk to your local bike shop for what would be best for those conditions, they may suggest a slightly wider tire.

The hybrid / cross trainer will fit your daily and near term training needs; but, for a pure racing / tri bike you need just that- a road / tri type of bike. So save up $$ for that eventuality. They just would not work for you in your daily riding environment.... that is why the cross trainer / hybrid class survives and thrives in cycling.

Soccerref

Sounds like you need several bikes, you wont find one that will do all of that. Get a road bike for training and triathlons, a hybrid for commuting with baskets and fenders and riding on cobblestones.

I think you should get a mountain bike because you can control the speed your going and stop easier with handle bars. If you do get a mountain bike you should get a mongoose. I own a mongoose and they are really good when thy hit bumps because they don't jerk you around. If you do get a bike get a mongoose.