Is Bill Walsh the greatest NFL head coach of all time?

Why I think Bill Walsh is the greatest:

** Turned around a pathetic losing 49er organization into a dynasty, winning Super Bowls in 10 years.

** Developed the west coast offense, which many current teams use or modified in some way.

** Master at evaluating talent. Drafted Hall of Famers Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott and Jerry Rice. Traded for Steve Young.

** Drafted pro bowlers John Taylor, Roger Craig, Eric Wright, Charles Haley, Bill Romanowski, Michael Carter, Dwight Clark, Keena Turner, etc. Brought in QB Jeff Garcia and Brent Jones.

** Although Bill Walsh was known for being an offensive genius, he formed one of the best defenses - always ranking in the top 5 in the league from 1983 thru 1988. For the first time in NFL history, all 4 players in the secondary went to the Pro Bowl the same year in 1984 (Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, Dwight Hicks, and Carlton Williamson). Never happened before.

** Bill Walsh helped developed many coaches that went on to have successful careers later on - Sam Wyce, Mike Holgrem, Jim Fassel, George Seifert, and Dennis Green.

If you DISAGREE, which coach do you think is the greatest???

BELICHICK AS ONE OF THE BEST??? YEH, I GUESS I WOULD BE GREAT TOO IF I VIDEO RECORDED OPPONENTS SIGNALS.

PAUL BROWN WAS JEALOUS OF WALSH, ONLY REASON I COULD THINK OF WHY HE DID NOT PROMOTE WALSH AFTER HE RETIRED FROM COACHING. DIDNT MATTER, PAUL BROWN WAS PRESIDENT OF BENGALS AND LOST TO WALSH IN SUPERBOWL XXIII and XVI.

DESPITE DON SHULA DOLPHINS BEING HEAVY FAVORITES WITH MARINO AND THE DUPERS, THEY LOST TO BILL WALSH 1984 TEAM IN THE SUPERBOWL.

TOM LANDRY LOST TO WALSH TWICE IN 1981, LEADING TO THE END OF THE COWBOY DYNASTY.

CHUCK NOLL TOOK 22 YEARS TO WIN 4 SUPER BOWLS, ALL IN THE 1970'S. IN THE 80'S, THE STEELERS WERE MEDICORE AT BEST.

YES, I AGREE LOMBARDI AND BILL PARCELLS WERE OUTSTANDING.

Favorite Answer

He was definitely one of the best,but not the greatest.

I think that accolade has to be given to Don Shula.

He was damn good. But I think conventional wisdom is that Lombardi was the best, and I rather agree. Walsh wasn't just an excellent coach, but he was a fantastic GM. In fact, I would argue that he was a better GM than Coach. I think Joe Gibbs did what he did with FAR less talent. But Lombardi was a master of getting the most out of his guys. And the thing is, he was well on his way to making the Redskins turn around before his health failed. Some Skins fans still credit him with turning the franchise around. He was the lead-in to George Allen.

To me the best was probably Lombardi with Gibbs, Shula, Walsh, Parcells, Landry, Brown, Belichick, et al on the next rung down.

• Sara

It's impossible to say. Folks say Walsh... Well, he is a Paul Brown disciple and he actually learned the West Coast Offense from him. Noll had a good 6 year span, but sucked for the most part outside that time period. Shula had great success early on in his career, but failed to win a SB with Dan Marino and largely under-achieved after his early success with Miami in the early 70's. You can't hardly argue with Lombardi, though. The freakin trophy is named after him. I also think Tom Landry deserves some recognition, even from the Cowboy haters. 5 Super Bowls, 2 SB victories, 2 NFL Championship games, 20 consecutive winning seasons and he was the leader of the Cowboys when they truly were America's Team. He also created the 4-3 and the Flex defense.

Chuck Noll:

He built what most consider still the most outstanding collection of talent ever on a team that hadn't had a winner in 40 years. The 1970 Steelers were simply outstanding and i'm a Cowboy fan. I witnessed their rise to power and he was the mastermind behind it all.

Pretty much every starter on both sides of the ball are in the hall of fame, 4 championships in 6 years, a defense that recorded 5 shutouts in one season, played in what have been voted the 2 most exciting super bowls in history (with Dallas) and had greater longevity than did Walsh. And has a coaching tree that includes Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher.

• NITWIG

Vince Lombardi: The best at motivating players to give their absolute best effort & the master of the practice field and having his team prepared

Bill Walsh: Master talent evaluator & innovator

Paul Brown: The greatest innovator in the history of the game. He basically invented the modern style of coaching & offensive philosophies. Bill Walsh is one of his protoge's

Don Shula: Excellent game day coach. Steady and consistent.

I disagree, and I think Lombardi was the best.

Like Walsh, he turned around a losing Packers team into a dynasty, winning 5 championships in his 9 years coaching, with a 9-1 playoff record.

He was also very good at using what players he had. Over half the players that became HOFers were already there before Vince became coach, including Paul Hornung, Forrest Gregg, Ray Nitschke, and a 17th round draft pick named Bart Starr who he made one of the leagues best.

Made HOFers of Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, Willie Wood, Forrest Gregg, Jim Ringo, Ray Nitschke, Henry Jordan, and Willie Davis.

Walsh was an excellent coach no doubt, and one of the best all time, but I just feel that Lombardi was better.

No. Paul Brown coached the Browns to league championship games 10 times in a row. He coached a team that moved from a league that got no respect to being the NFL Champions their first year. Six straight appearances in the NFL championship game. No other pro football coach has done that.

I agree. To add what you have, his record was 102-63-1; 6 Division titles, 3 NFC Championships, and 3 Super Bowls. Coach of the year for 1981 and 1984, a inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1993.

• It`s a good argument, but you have to consider:

1. Chuck Noll

2. Tom Landry

3. Vince Lombardi

4. Bill Belichick (LOL, pains me to say it)

5. Bill Parcels

6. John Madden

7. Paul Brown

8. Joe Gibbs

9. Don Shula

10. George Halas

Walsh was actually a Paul Brown assistant and one could counter that he "developed" the West Coast from Brown during his tenure with him. So, in effect, the coaching tree you claim is Wash's is actually Brown's.

I will say Walsh is ONE of the all time greats, but not THE all time great.

Agree You got all the proof necessary and I agree Bill Walsh the Best Coach ever.