Is there a difference between a scanner driver and scanning software?

My ancient flatbed scanner (Silitek FC600KU) uses a driver that was last updated in 2000. In fact, I think the driver was written for Windows 2000, and the update merely added compatibility with Windows XP (which I'm still using), but didn’t add or improve any other capabilities. I’m not sure if XP actually... show more My ancient flatbed scanner (Silitek FC600KU) uses a driver that was last updated in 2000. In fact, I think the driver was written for Windows 2000, and the update merely added compatibility with Windows XP (which I'm still using), but didn’t add or improve any other capabilities. I’m not sure if XP actually offered any means for improving the scanner’s performance, but it seems like it should have. Is there 3rd party software that can enhance the performance of my scanner? I’m not looking for a specific improvement, I just want to make sure I’m getting the fullest potential out of my scanner.