Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

When do the fines start for not having health insurance?

I think people need to stop asking why, and start asking when! When is this going to start? I have heard these fines will be from 750-1000 dollars a year! It's already been approved, so no need to ***** now. Theres no going back. When will the fines start?

Umm. Well why don't you read the health care reform they passed today, and get informed. Until then, don't answer like an ignorant ***.

• ideas
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it is ridiculous. It's also true. You will be fined $750, or 2% of your income for not having health insurance, whichever is greater. The punishment begins in 2014.

Maybe we should just make poverty illegal and put a fine on it too.

From the New York Times:

"The first year, consumers who did not have insurance would owe $95, or 1 percent of income, whichever is greater. But the penalty would subsequently rise, reaching $695, or 2 percent of income.

Families who fall below the income-tax filing thresholds would not owe anything. Nor would people who cannot find a policy that costs less than 8 percent of their income. . ."

So, yes, if you normally owe taxes and fail to procure health insurance, your taxes will go up next year. There's also an exemption for those opposed to traditional health care on religious grounds.

As for exactly when, you'll be asked to provide proof of health insurance when submitting your tax return. If you aren't exempt and fail to do so, your taxes will reflect that.

An grownup who does not have scientific wellbeing coverage by skill of 2014 could be penalized $ninety 5 or a million p.c. of income, whichever is larger, so long because of the fact the quantity does not exceed the fee tag of a elementary wellbeing plan. yet by skill of 2016, the penalty will advance to $695 for an uninsured grownup, and as much as $2,0.5 consistent with better half and young toddlers, or 2.5 p.c. of income, whichever is larger.

Funny how the guy quoting the CNN article left out the very next sentence: Under the plan now headed to Obama, individuals are required to purchase health insurance coverage or face a fine of up to $750 or 2 percent of their income -- whichever is greater. IT INCLUDES A HARDSHIP EXEMPTION FOR POORER AMERICANS.

Our country is in a recession and millions of Americans are in debt and going bankrupt solely for medical bills. This is trying to fix that. Not to mention that the current health insurance system makes it easy for the healthy to get insurance while the sick can't get insurance. It's ignorant to NOT have health insurance. The government is going to fine people in an attempt to get them to get health insurance. Health insurance SHOULD be made a priority.

For everyone saying the government is taking your right to live: Ask those without health insurance if they'd rather have health insurance to pay for them when they get cancer, or if they're more concerned that the government is charging them to breathe. Something tells me most would chose life over death.

We're screwed, When I have an answer on the details I'll be back. In the mean time I'd like to have umm go ahead and pay my tax fine when it comes up. Great question, I'm sure alot of people are asking the same question.

Beginning in 2014 you will be fined 1% of your gross income. After that it goes up to 2.5% until 2016

Since it will be illegal for insurance companies to deny coverage for pre-existing conditions I plan on canceling my health insurance the first day that provision becomes effective. I pay 3960/year right now for insurance so paying the fine will save me 3000+/year. If I become seriously sick then I will buy insurance to cover the costs. I am but one of MILLIONS that will do this.

i didnt read the bill or anything all i know is americans r being forced to get health insurance or face a fine?? land of the free?? for one forcing me to do something or taking my money that i dont have will just piss me off...also id rather pay the 60 bucks n see the doctor when i need to...if its cheaper for u to get insurance then do so...and i dont even like obama...incompetence...he doesnt even meet the qualifications of becoming president let alone forcing me to get insurance...just my opinion

Source(s): my head

Uhm...What?

You aren't going to get fined by anyone for not having health insurance...that's ridiculous.

Why the F*CK are you just going to accept being FINED for NOT HAVING AN INSURANCE PLAN??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?? your just going to roll over and say OK HOW MUCH DO I OWE YOU CROOKS.

It is your attitude that is ENABLING our gov't to TAKE ADVANTAGE OF US.