BillyDawkins asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

MLB vs. NPB (Japanese Baseball league)?

What is the general opinion comparing the two? I mean competitively, how would NPB teams fare against MLB teams? I don't really follow baseball, but I do know that Japan is very enthusiastic about it, and that some players from Japan come to the MLB (and vice-versa, though more uncommon). Is it comparable to a major vs minor league team, or a little closer?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Japanese baseball is no better than AAA baseball. Most MLB players could go over there and dominate, but the Japanaese that come here struggle to survive. They come here for the money and nothing else.

• 1 decade ago

Considering that players like Orestes Destrade, Boomer Wells, Alex Cabrera and Tuffy Rhodes (all marginal major leaguers/AAA stars) have been dominant players in NPB over the last 25 years, I'd say that with the exception of a handful of stars, NPB is at roughly a AAA level of talent. If the 2009 Yomiuri Giants, winner of last year's Japan Series, were to be dropped into the American major leagues, they'd almost certainly lose 100+ games. Their defense would be good and their pitching passable, but their would have trouble against good AL or NL pitching and comparatively large ball fields.

Examples abound. You know Kaz Matsui as a journeyman 2B with middling offense and a good glove. That's in the American MLB; before that, he may have been the best shortstop in NPB history. Daisuke Matsuzaka in Japan led his league in wins three times, in Ks four times, in ERA twice and pulled in a Sawamura Award (their Cy Young Award); over here he's been just a middle-of-the-road starter. Ichiro is probably the only Japanese player to come to the US and be just as good as he was at home (even Hideki Matsui had better NPB than MLB numbers).

That being said, I'm still looking forward to seeing Yu Darvish in an SF Giants uni someday. But he's the exception -- and even so, he's already won two Pacific League MVPs and he's only 23, nowhere near his peak years. It says a lot about the competition he's facing.

Source(s): Wikipedia, 2010 Baseball Prospectus, The Baseball Guru website
  • deviny
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Usa Vs Japan Baseball

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

http://www.wholesalesoccerjerseyser.com/

MLB Trade Rumors: a clearinghouse for legitimate baseball free agent and trade rumors.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

any MLB team would beat the NPB all star team(if they have one, im not sure) in a 5 or 7 game series if their was something worth the MLB teams efforts at stake. the best japanese players are here playing on MLB teams. the reason that Japan does well in the WBC is cause the japanese MLB players care about the WBC when Americans could care less about the WBC and more about their contracts and the World Series.

Americans do go to the Japanese leagues, but these are guys that have been waived from minor league assignments, or went undrafted. The Japanese league doesnt pay squat compared to what these great Japanese players can make playing in the MLB which is why you see guys like Ichiro and Dice-K Matsuzaka over here and not at home.

MLB is the Premiere league in the world by a long shot. the Cuban league is decent too, but still not as good as the Japanese league. but its still mile between the MLB and the NPB

To answer your final question, if you were to pick a team at random from the Japanese league and a triple A MLB affiliate at random, The Minor league team would most likely win, there's a good chance that there is some young Japanese talents on the minor league team too

• 1 decade ago

The NPB is a nice competitive league with some very good players but it's not on the level of MLB...

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Additional information needed

• reagan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i will answer the question thoroughly so in case you do no longer provide me superb answer, i do no longer comprehend what to tell you. question a million: My renowned MLB group is the Boston pink Sox question 2: particular, I stay in Boston and the pink Sox are a set from Boston.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

japanese baseball teams are just as good as mlb & competitive

• 1 decade ago

we live in america...the best country in the world

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.