promotion image of download ymail app

I am a US citizen married to a UK citizen and I need help on the paperwork so that I can live in England?

My wife is an EU citizen and we have been living in the United states for the last 10 years. We now want to move to the UK but need some advice on how I go about being there legally and starting the paperwork process!

2 Answers

  • Me
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Okay, first things this is your guide to a spousal visa.

    Next, you have 2 options. You can either...

    1) Gather all your documents and go to the consulate that serves your area...and do a consular filing. If you have all your documents/evidence in order, you very well may walk out with a visa the same day.

    2) You can have you wife return to the UK, get a job, rent a place to live, bank account..then send all these documents to you so you can either...

    a) apply online (and do biometrics) mail in the application, and sit back and wait.

    b) apply online (and do biometrics) and then sent your application in to a courier here in the states. They will hand deliver your application to the consulate. In most uncomplicated applications a decision is made (using a courier) in 24-48 hours. Only down side is most couriers charge $100-150.

    No matter which route you take, make sure you include on your application, where it asks for more information..that you want a KOB. That means as soon as you get to the UK, and take the life in the UK test, you can then switch to ILR.

    The UK has recently undergone major changes to it's immigration policies. If you do the KOB and pass the test...then you will be under the old rules. If not..and you have to wait the 2 yrs to get your ILR you are under the new rules and it will take you a lot longer to be eligible to apply for British citizenship. You would be required to do things like community service etc.

    Here is a link on the spousal visa as well.

    If you need any other advice, just email me. I will do my best to help all I can.


    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    you would be extra helpful off having your fiance notice now for a K1 fiance visa which will take 6-9 months to technique. in case you marry in the U. S. on a vacationer visa, return abode then document a CR1 substantial different visa, it is going to take 12-18 months to technique, meaning you would be separated out of your substantial different for no less than a 300 and sixty 5 days when you marry With a fiance visa you do no longer could desire to leave the rustic when you marry - you purely document an adjustment of status when you're married. this is speedier and motives fewer complications

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.