?
? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 years ago

English grammar of “ commit ~ to”?

There is a sentence using a verb “ commit”. But I can’t understand the grammatical structure of “ committing its members to reduce CO2 emissions”. I understand the pattern of “ I commit the management to him.” How should I think? Thanks beforehand.

The ACEA entered into a voluntary agreement with the European Commission, committing its members to reduce CO2 emissions for new passenger cars by 25% over a period of ten years.

Thanks. Can " commit" make the pattern of S+V+IO+DO?

I need a grammatical reason, PLEASE.

Best Answer

In this sentence, 'commiting its members' is purposive of the fact that ACEA is having its members 'get committed to reduce....'. The sentence could be written differently like this - The ACEA entered into a voluntary agreement with the European Commission, with its members committing to reduce CO2 emissions for new passenger cars by 25% over a period of ten years.

“committing its members to reduce CO2 emissions” = making the members agree to reduce CO2 emissions

as regards to how you structure a sentence, no idea