Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

Is a degree (and eventual) Master's degree in Urban Planning good?

i do not want to end up with a foolish (and low prestige) degree in such useless degrees as history, English, sociology, philosophy etc that lead to low paying, useless work.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Urban Planning is a tough field right now. Most jobs are in the public sector, with municipal and state/provincial governments. Since it is a non-essential service, it got hit hard by the recession, and it will take several more years to recover. The private sector (design firms) was hit hard too, because without money nobody is paying for new projects. The unemployment rate among planners is unbelievable right now. Things will probably look better by the time you graduate, but it may not be back at full strength.

As a result of what I described above, salaries are horribly low right now. A lot of people received huge pay cuts, and the salaries for new job postings are still VERY disheartening. This is something that might take longer to bounce back up (faster in the private sector than public). Some jobs offer pay as low as $30,000, which is insane. It needs time to recover, like all things.

So, the prospects are looking up for the future, but don't hold your breath.

Sidenote:

Make sure you learn about what a career in Planning actually entails before you start your MUP. It's important to grasp both the pros and the cons of any career before jumping into it.

I suggest you sign up at http://www.cyburbia.org/ and lurk the forums. That's how I learned everything I know.

Source(s): Human Geography student, considering urban planning myself.
  • 7 years ago

Got my Masters in Urban Planning in 2007 and have not found employment. I did work for a year at a Remote Sensing firm but got laid off. The work was super boring and repetitive for a GIS job. When in school I got passed up from an internship at a municipality only to find out the planning manager married the intern he hired. Lots of nepotism in the field makes it extremely difficult for good people to get into the profession.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

sure of direction. a lot of people get masters in matters distinctive from their bachelors. you need to take some undergrad classes to start yet they get rolled up into this methodology.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.