Christians only please? Do you feel being called "Xtians" is derogatory?

Please give reasons as to why or why not? Have you ever considered not answering questions where they call Christians "Xtians"? Peace and blessings to you!

• Hayley
    Favorite Answer

I agree with Dr. Bob's first three paragraphs.

>>Have you ever considered not answering questions where they call Christians "Xtians"?<<

I generally do refrain. If they can't bother being respectful, I can't bother answering.

Why the ignorance when a few seconds research would have told you where that word comes from and why?!!

The popular abbreviation 'Xmas' isn't merely popular because it's quicker to type on a mobile phone. 'X' is the first letter of the Greek word for Christ - Xristos - so the shortened spelling of Christmas has been around for hundreds of years.

Sadly anyone not liking the word is thus really rejecting Christs name!!!

Why do some christians prefer to be offended rather than seek the truth and show others the joys of christianity?!!

Oh for Christ's sake. It's not the Latin letter "x", it's the Greek "chi". The thing that looks like a "p" that often goes with the "x" is the Greek letter "rho". XP. Chi Rho. Christos. It's not an insult, it's just an abbreviation. It's the abbreviation the Church itself has used for 2000 years. Get an education, and get a life.

Who uses the term "Xtian?" In my experience, it's only those who object to Christianity. They're literally crossing Christ out of the equation. It's not derogatory to me, but it is to Christ.

Yes, I realize that the early Christians used the equivalent abbreviation for "Xtian" but this was because they were persecuted, and using the real name of Christ could get them killed.

The only people I see who use this term on Yahoo! Answers are hostile to Christianity, and it's clear that it's a form of ridicule or insult.

No, it doesn't prevent me from answering questions, however. Christians, in general, are quite used to offensive attacks based upon their religious beliefs.

Nope, I really don't care what anyone calls me.

Really, as a christian, you shouldn't either. From what I understand the intial usage of the word, "christian" itself was a derrogatory term.

We are not to walk in offense against others.

Psalms 119:165, "Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them."

I can defend my faith, expose the works of darkness and share the good news of the Kingdom of God--I don't care what you call me.

We are supposed to be dead. I am dead to the titles, accolades and goals of this World. This world will one day come to an end and what we have done here will show where our heart really is.

I care more about witnessing to a person than what they think of me, call me or do to me. It's that simple. My faith in My God is much more important than labels and devisive tactics the enemy uses to keep us focused on ourselves rather than the high calling in Christ Jesus to walk in Love.

I think that it is derogatory. we say "xmas" for Christmas, the seculat holiday with santa, gifts, stockings, etc. but when we speak of the day Christ, the savior of the world, was born, we say "feast of the nativity".

it makes Christianity sound secular, not the truth, like it is and ever shall be, unto ages of ages.

I like it .. Christ isn't jesus's last name or anything ...i don't like people who demand you say porschaaa or mertcedes benz with just the right amount of spit involved ..

The x is basiclly a cross...I understand the cross ..Merry x-mas is ok with me .

The word it's self isn't a witnessing tool and no one is being disrespectful.,it's all silly ..Jebus i ain't much care for .. there is enoughreal slander of the name of god. Why get wacked out over an x..I ain't care .

i think of that's precise to apply the term "claims to be" whilst bearing on how somebody self identifies their association. i'm no longer able to truly know no remember if somebody is an Atheist or a Christian in keeping with their statements to that result. As a working occasion i'm no longer able to probably know if somebody is something they profess to be whilst they're conversing on the cyber web. adult males many times pretend to be ladies, homely ladies pretend to be exceptionally ladies, those with complexes pretend to be generic. it is all part of the hazards of communique without assembly people head to head. there is an hassle-free course to absorb this situation. the two take each and every thing suggested with the aid of quite everyone as being suspect, or take what quite everyone says at face value on an analogous time as booking a grain of salt for those people who stretch credulity. My perspective is that individuals who take quite everyone as suspect are people who develop a flag with me, and that i take what they say with a grain of salt. in my view I settle for that if somebody self identifies as Christian, then I take it that they are Christian except their habit makes a lie of their words. the comparable is going for Atheists and the different faith discussing subject concerns in this communicate board. working example whilst somebody self identifies as an Atheist, then says they do unlike Christianity. regardless of the indisputable fact that, they have faith something divine different than the Christian God exists, then i know they do no longer understand what the term Atheist skill. i've got met lots of people who declare the two Agnosticism and Atheism as properly. Agnostics quite have not got awareness, even of the non-existence of the divine. for this reason an Agnostic isn't an Atheist. Agnostics are many times taking the two an apathetic or a wait and notice aproach to divinity. in my view i do no longer dislike Christians, Buddhists, Taoists, Jews, Scientologists, etc.. as long as they might trust non violent co-existence with different faiths i will get alongside properly with people from maximum non secular traditions. regardless of the indisputable fact that, I quite have additionally seen and studied enought of the historic song checklist for religions that i know to fastidiously save a watch on those which exchange into prepared as part of the political capacity shape of a rustic. This incorporates prepared Atheists with a social or political schedule alongside with are time-venerated in Russia, China, and North Korea. i'm hoping this helps.

Yes, I don't like that word for Christians. It's like what they do for Christmas which I don't like either. They are God haters who want to block out the name of Christ.

Peace and blessings to you too!

Marcia

Yes, I think it is derogatory because it deliberately and needlessly removes the name of Christ.