promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

The conviction against Alaskan Senator Ted Stevens has been dismissed.?

Stevens was convicted just prior to the election last year and is likely the reason he lost. Now it turns out that the government withheld evidence and may have in fact manufactured evidence. I freely admit that I don't like Eric Holder but this would seem to be to his credit. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong about him.

Although Stevens has now been acquitted is this sufficient justice for the misconduct of the prosecutors?

I have always been suspicious of the timing on his trial and can't help but think there's still more to it. Agree, disagree.

Is this conduct in any way related to the barrage of accusations against Sarah Palin?

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/04/01/politics/p...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The timing cost Stevens his seat:

If the charges had been thrown out before the election, Mr. McConnell said in an interview, “Ted Stevens would still be in the Senate.”

“It literally cost us a seat,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/us/politics/02st...

Will the judge refer Ms. Morris to the State Bar for disciplinary proceedings? If not, why not?

http://federalism.typepad.com/crime_federalism/200...

Hopefully other federal judges are paying attention.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He has not been acquitted, his conviction has been dismissed. It's actually a big difference. Acquittal can only come from a jury. The dismissal of his conviction states not that he was innocent of the charges, but that the prosecution broke the rules of the court in their prosecution.

So many people involved in this case have pleaded guilty or been convicted that I'm sure Stevens was guilty. However, if the prosecution cannot make that case then the man should have been released.

The "barrage" against Sarah Palin is a state matter; Stevens was federal.

• 1 decade ago

I'm stumped why you're bringing this up now. That's quite some time ago.

It was dismissed because of misconduct (and it was never proven that they manufactured evidence).

However, that doesn't mean he wasn't guilty. It was fact that he lied on Senate financial disclosure documents to hide hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts and home renovations from millionaire businessman and VECO founder Bill Allen

As the Washington Post editorial said:

This extraordinary reversal cannot erase or forgive the ugly behavior that gave rise to the indictment in the first place. Trial records and testimony painted a picture of a man so consumed with his own sense of entitlement that he did not think twice about accepting such expensive freebies as a Viking gas grill, a vibrating Shiatsu massage lounger and a five-foot sculpture of migrating salmon — not to mention extensive plumbing, electrical and carpentry work on his “chalet” in Girdwood, Alaska. All told, the government calculated that Mr. Stevens took gifts worth in excess of $250,000.

• 3 years ago

It wasn't political. It exchange into basically incompetent federal prosecutors. It’s sparkling that Sen. Stevens won unpaid abode protection help and different presents from a efficient lobbyist and buyer who has provided that pleaded responsible to bribing state legislators. What’s no longer sparkling is not any rely if Stevens fairly broke federal disclosure rules." unusual which you will receive bribes, kickbacks and payola yet nevertheless no longer injury any rules. Politics is a great place for the offender suggestions.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It wasn't political. It was simply incompetent federal prosecutors.

It’s clear that Sen. Stevens received unpaid home renovation help and other gifts from a powerful lobbyist and patron who has since pleaded guilty to bribing state legislators. What’s not clear is whether Stevens in fact broke federal disclosure laws."

Strange that you can receive bribes, kickbacks and payola but still not break any laws. Politics is a great place for the criminal mind.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.