JR
JR asked in SportsBasketball · 10 years ago

John Wall or Evan Turner?

Both players have the potential to become the 1st pick in the upcoming 2010 NBA Draft.

LeBron is pulling for Wall and Kobe is vouching for Turner.

If your team had the #1 pick, who would you vouch for?

Do you go with upside and potential in (Wall) or take the more seasoned and experienced player who is also a "better ball-handler and a more complete player" in (Turner)?

This should be an interesting discussion for hoop fans, especially if your team will be headed towards the lottery this season.

Here is an article regarding this topic.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmtXGIi6XaGd...

The 2007 and 2008 serves as a constant reminder that going with potential vs. the more sure thing tends to flip flop.

2007 gave us Greg Oden who looked like the can't miss player once in a decade type of player with the most potential while Kevin Durant was more of the sure thing but wouldn't be anymore than a really good player. Now it looks more like Durant was the can't miss player with a limitless ceiling.

2008 gave us Beasley who looked like a sure thing with his insane college stats while Rose looked like he had the potential to do more than what he displayed on a very talented college team. Rose took home the rookie of the year trophy and transformed the Bulls while Beasley is still trying to make a name for himself.

Chicago traded down in the 2006 draft to acquire Tyrus Thomas' potential in exchange for the stable college veteran in LaMarcus Aldridge. Aldridge has develop into Portland's #2 go-to guy while Tyrus is still trying to find his niche on his 2nd team Bobcats.

Let's also not forget the 2003 draft classic where Cleveland took the player with more upside and potential in LeBron over the more proven college players like Melo, Wade, and Bosh.

Favorite Answer

What's going on JR? Getting caught up in March Madness?

Disregarding need, I think you go with John Wall. By most accounts, he a future superstar in the NBA. His explosiveness, size, speed, and court vision are all exceptional. He's about as close to a sure thing you can get, and that makes him very hard to pass up.

Evan Turner is a more versatile player and has made a bid for being the top pick. He is a junior so he has had more time to develop. He doesn't have the players around him that Wall does, so he has had to put a lot more on his shoulders. His all around stats are pretty impressive, and he is a very polished player. He is the type of player that usually has a lot of success at the NBA level, but I'm not sure if he is as much of a guaranteed star as Wall.

As a fellow Warriors fan, I'm sure you've had plenty of conversations about which you take if given the opportunity. It is a popular topic on all of the Ws message boards. It seems like there are a lot of Ws fans that want to go with Evan Turner and think Wall is overrated. I don't think Wall is overrated, but Turner is an intriguing player. The problem for the Wariors is that they already have Curry and Ellis. I can see where Ellis is expendable due to his lack of size at SG. But, if the Ws draft Wall then what? You can either play all 3 together, play Wall/Curry and trade Ellis, or trade Curry and play Ellis/Wall. I'm just not sure any of those options are ideal. I really can't see trading Curry simply for the possibility of maybe uprgrading at PG. He is too good to discard like that. I suppose a Curry/Wall backcourt would be tempting, but it wouldn't be a whole lot different than the undersized backcourt they have now.

I think Evan Turner would be the best fit for the Warriors. He has the potential to be a superstar, and I would love watching him and Curry running the offense. Of course they run the risk of watching Wall making them look like fools. Teams that draft for need over talent often live to regret it. In the perfect world they would be able to work a trade with a team clamoring to get their hands on Wall. They could get Turner and a nice player or additonal draft pick to help add some talent.

To me, it'll really depend on what the team needs. John Wall is the Derrick Rose/LeBron type guy, while I see Turner as a guy with a Kobe/Roy skillset.

I'd choose Turner. Wall might be more athletic and have a big upside, but Turner has an amazing polished skillset like Kobe and Brandon Roy; players with those kind of skillsets are about as good as they come

I'm going with Turner, it's an easier transition for scorers

Wall will need time to turn into an NBA PG. I still don't think he's will make a splash like Derrick Rose.(At least not as immediate)

• Axel13

This is a pretty good question. I would go with experience, so Evan Turner. Usually the players with most potential wind up being injury prone.

John Wall

• Nathan

I will go with John Wall

the NCAA player of the year - John Wall.

Hey I got a STRICTLY QUANT best answer question going if ya would like to participate:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ApzFK...

turner