Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What about the drug companies?

They keep talking about the insurance companies in the health care bill, What about the drug companies whose prices are so high you can't afford them. All its says is they will close the donut hole for seniors. What about the people who are not seniors. Medicaid is getting turned down by Walgreens and others will follow then what????????

2 Answers

Relevance
  • $
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The drug companies are in a bit of hard spot. The fact is that the FDA is part of the problem. The requirement the FDA has put in place is terrible. The requirements are a solid 20 years behind current technology. These requirements are extremely inefficient and costly. To the point that something as simple as gaskets can cost millions of dollars per year. I have been in bio-pharma facilities and have seen it with my own eyes! I have spoken to research scientist who will tell you strait to your face that the reason aids has not been cured is solely the fault of the FDA! From the time a cure is developed to time it can be released to the public is almost 10 years. 10 years and the virus has already mutated at least once. I have seen the FDA in action and it is like allowing your kid to work on your car because he know how to use logos. People need to wake up and see what is happening most of the problems we have can be either directly or indirectly blame on the government getting into things it has no business messing with! This health care bill whether it is good, bad, or indifferent is being shoved on us! Not just shoved on us because a majority of Americans don't want it, but also shoved through our system that is supposed to balance these issues out in order to prevent such tyrannical behavior. We are right on the edge of a cliff, and it is a long fall if we go over. A fall that I am not sure we can recover from if we fall or are pushed.

• 1 decade ago

The actual drug prices are very low. The major costs associated with them are the research and development costs, legal costs, and marketing costs, in that order.

Tort reform would fix the legal costs.

R&D costs are born only by Americans (thats why the same drug is cheaper in other countries).

Marketing costs could be cured by capping prices.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.