How can I tell if my phone lines are being tapped?

Once in a while I'l get a strange interference when I make a phone call from my house. The interference makes my end of the line sound "crackling". People I call ask me, why is my line "crackling"? ...This happens when I call from my cell phone (when I'm in the house), or my house's... show more Once in a while I'l get a strange interference when I make a phone call from my house. The interference makes my end of the line sound "crackling". People I call ask me, why is my line "crackling"? ...This happens when I call from my cell phone (when I'm in the house), or my house's cordless phone. It doesn't make that sound when I call through someone elses cell phone inside the house.

Is my phone line tapped? how can I tell? or what do you think is causing that crackling on my phone in particular; keep in mind that it also happens with my cordless inside the house. And up to a few months ago this was not happening.