Would Sheriff Joe Arpaio get your vote for governor of Arizona?

Joe Arpaio “considers” run for Governor • March 18, 2010 He says, “if it;s not now, it’s never” PHOENIX – Sheriff Joe Arpaio says he’s “considering” running for the state’s highest office — and he says he could win. It’s the fourth time Sheriff Arpaio has flirted with the idea of running for governor... show more Joe Arpaio “considers” run for Governor

• March 18, 2010

He says, “if it;s not now, it’s never”

PHOENIX – Sheriff Joe Arpaio says he’s “considering” running for the state’s highest office — and he says he could win.

It’s the fourth time Sheriff Arpaio has flirted with the idea of running for governor of Arizona. But he says this time is different.

Arpaio says this is the last year he’ll consider running for Arizona’s top spot. Since 1998, Arpaio has only considered a run, but he’s never officially thrown in his hat. This time, Arpaio says, it’s different because he’s 77 years old.

“I’m not going to wait until I’m 85 or 80 if I wanted to run for governor,” he says. “I would run for governor for two reasons, because the people want me, and I know I can do the job, that’s not being egotistical.”

The sheriff says he’s raised plenty of money to campaign for governor — possibly millions.

If Arpaio runs for governor, he would face off with Republican candidates Jan Brewer, Dean Martin, and John Munger. Democrat Terry Goddard is also in the running.

Arpaio says his resume could beat out any of those candidates. “I get letters every day that I should run for governor.”

Arpaio denies the claim that his popularity may be plummeting due to a Department of Justice investigation into his crime suppression sweeps. He says he’s more popular than ever before.

If Sheriff Arpaio decides to run for governor, he would have to resign. The county Board of Supervisors would appoint his replacement.

Arpaio expects to make a decision in the next few months.