I want to get into the University of Michigan?

I want to go to medical school at the University of Michigan. I am currently a sophomore in high school and I was wondering what classes I should take to get in? I learned that U OF M requires 2 years of a foreign language, which I don't have- but still have 2 years left to do. So other than that can you help, please?

hahaha, I know what you're saying about doing more than what you need. U OF M says you only need 3 credits of math and 3 in science. I'm taking 5 credits in math and 5 in science. But I don't want the fact that I'll only have two years of a language be my "deal breaker." I mean I speak a second language at home fluently, but I can't document that so it doesn't count obviously. :/

I had 3 accelerated/advanced honors classes last year(freshman). I had three this year and next year i will have 2AP and one accelerated class(if my schedule doesn't switch) and senior year i will have at least 3 AP classes

Favorite Answer

In your final two years of high school, take as many AP/IB classes as you can, and as the other poster said a GPA of 3.75+ unweighted is advisable.

Other than that, there is not a whole lot that matters in regards to class selection since there are not college/med related classes in high school. It would be best to take something like AP/IB bio/chemistry, maybe both, that would help show your interest.

You do not get into medical school first though, medical school comes after undergraduate school (where you get a bachelors degree). As far as if it is a good thing to go to Michigan for undergrad in light of getting admitted to their med school, I would not know that. Some graduate schools have mixed feelings about this, because while you could prove that you could handle their level of classes at their school, admitting undergraduates to their same med school is academic inbreeding, and some fields do not like prefer this at least.

I know more than a handful of people who went to Michigan for undergrad and got into their medical school, so I am not saying it is a bad idea at all, i am just alerting you to this idea.

When they say you need 2 years of foreign language, maybe that means for admittance to their undergrad school, but it is also a requirement at Michigan to have 2 years of foreign language if you graduate from their Language, Science, and Arts (LS&A) school (what i mean by school is that depending on your major at Michigan, you will be in different schools: engineering, language science and arts, art, music, etc. and each of these schools have different requirements. You have plenty of time to learn about that when you get there though, you cannot satisfy most of the requirements while you are in high school, you have to do it there).

Other than that it matters tremendously if you are in-state or out-of-state, Michigan accepts over 70% per year of Michigan residence students, so it is easier to get in if you live in Michigan.

Just remember that Michigan actually is a hard school to get into, you can have a perfect 4.0 unweighted taking all AP/IB classes, loads of significant involvement in extracurricular activities, awards, etc. and still not get in. The reason being: everyone else has that too. Since every school is limited by space, and Michigan gets many applicants a year, they are forced to turn down many many qualified applicants per year. So, it is always good to have backup schools because Michigan is regarded with a highly-competitive admissions process.

I hear if you apply early you have a better chance of getting in, Michigan has rolling admissions, so they evaluate applications as they come and let people in. This is the opposite of the intention of such a system, and I am not sure if it is really true, but that is what people say. I applied to Michigan on the deadline date at 10pm and got in.

Just keep up the good work in high school, take a lot/all AP/IB classes, do well on standardized tests (I think the ACT is much easier, but to each their own. If you take the ACT, try to get 32+), standout by contributing significantly in extracurriculars (maybe winning championships, etc., try not to overload and stuff your application with 20 activities, it looks silly, although everyone does this), write a great application, and let them know that you want to go there, and their school solely. Of course, people get in with less credentials, but i am not sure if you are a Michigan resident or not, and it is important to realize how highly qualified every applicant is who applies there. Everyone is almost the same in their eyes, so they have to pick somehow, and this does require some luck, but you have a better chance if you shine.

Best of luck!

Source(s): I graduated from Michigan in Jan. 2008

Being a Michigan resident is a CLEAR abilities in admissions to U of M OR MSU. Although your GPA & ACT are common/a little bit above, if you are taking the possibility for EARLY ADMISSIONS, you've a well risk of having in, assuming your rankings meet the minimal specifications. Make certain you follow THIS SUMMER and conclude the program AS SOON AS they permit men and women to use. That will supply you the fine risk of being approved.

if you want to get in, just open the damn door and walk in lolololololol

but seriously, if your school has a health science acadamy, go into it. also, take biology, anatomy, and always do an extra year than whats required. if they want 3 years of math, do four.

lol, my state only requires 2 years of foreign language but im gonna take 5 (one in middle school)

You need high SAT scores 1830 and up. You need a 3.75+ unless your SAT scores are higher than 1830. Volunteering, clubs and work experience can help you get in. You should probably take honors and AP classes your next two years.

Source(s): Collegeboard.com