How do you know if it's type 1 or type 2 diabetes?

Do they have the same symptoms? My fiancee has been a diabetic for 4 yrs now. But we are not totally sure if it's type 1 or type 2. Before he found out he was a diabetic he would pee a lot. Drink a lot and sleep a lot. Is it the same symptoms for both? He was 26 when he found out.

He is strictly on insulin. They tried pills but they didn't work. His sugar still stayed to high.

OK well his doctor has said that his pancreas does not produce any insulin. So I guess that makes him a type 1. And to answer another question. Once they found out he was a diabetic they kept in the hospital using insulin he was feeling great and back to his normal self until he left the hospital. They had given him pills to go home with after a few days he was back to feeling like crap again. His sugars were stuck in the 300 area. So he went to get his prescriptions done at the free clinic and were forced to send him down to the hospital since his sugars were that high. After that the hospital had to put him on insulin. Thats the only thing that can control it.

• Noccie
    Best Answer

Simply call his doctor and ask. If he takes a pill or controls his blood sugar with diet and exercise then it is type 2. If he must have insulin - it's probably type 1 (although some type 2's use insulin)

He has type 2. You cannot live long with untreated type 1. But it depends on how he developed diabetes. If it is a result of some other disease or medical treatment etc.

Type 1 is when the pancreas no longer produces any insuline. Without insuline the glucose in your blood cannot be absorbed by the cells. This means that your cells cannot function. This leads quickly to unconciousness (diabetescoma) and soon death, if untreated. With type 1 diabetes the person becomes dependent on taking insuline.

Type 2 is when the pancres is producing insuline normally but the cells in the body have become more or less resistant to it. The cells can use some it though so the symptoms are milder and the development of the illness is slower and more subtle. Type 2 can be treated with diet and change in lifestyle but sometimes insuline is needed.

Symptoms are basically the same though they develop very differently. They have different causes but the end result is the same i.e a lack of energy in the cells. Type 1 is much more serious and deadly though, if untreated.

Edit:

OK, only his doctor can tell exactly what type he has, as your fiancees medical record is necessary to determine that.

You can compare symptoms here:

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/symptoms/

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): 39 type 1 type 2 diabetes: https://tinyurl.im/Pniji

I am writing to tell you what an incredible impact these methods had on my life! I have had type 2 diabetes for 27 years. For me, the worst part of this horrible disease is the severe pain I constantly get in my feet. The pain is so bad that I avoid standing and walking as much as possible. I've got to tell you that within the first month, my feet stopped hurting altogether and I can now walk totally pain free.

Believe it or not, I even danced at my niece's wedding last month, something I have not done in a many years. I've been following the book for six months now and my blood sugar is well within normal range. I feel great!

I recommend you use the Type 2 Diabetes Destroyer to naturally reverse your diabetes.

The symptoms are exactly the same! The testing is almost the same. One additional test ing for those who may be type 1 and this is the GAD.

If your fiancee is using pills, he is type 2 diabetic as they are not given to type 1 people who absolutely must use insulins. Some type 2 people use combination of pills and insulins, but that is usually after years of using pills, diet and exercise for control.

those who think only obese middle age people get type 2 are sadly mistaken.

Age has nothing to do with if a person gets type 1 either tho it is more prevalent in children. And children also get type 2.

there is another type of diabetes: type 1.5 which is a combination of both type 1 and type 2. Some doctors refer to it as type 3

Also there is diabetes insipidus whidh has to do with the urine output and nothing at all to do with blood glucose.

Type 2 diabetes, usually referred to as adult onset, is when your body produces insulin but can not use it properly. This type can be treated successfully with the right diet and exercise in most circumstances. Read here https://tr.im/p8wa2

If blood sugars are not kept under control at some point insulin will probably be integrated / oral medications are also available. People with diabetes can live long, happy lives but must be diligent in their care and make sure you see your endocrinologist on a regular basis.

There is a C-peptide test the doc can order to tell for sure. At his age it could be either. Was he on insulin as soon as he was diagnosed? Most Type 2's work up to insulin...Type 1's start taking insulin right from the start.

Source(s): Type 1 for 26 years

Type 1 usually starts in childhood with type 2 you usually find out about it when you are an adult. More than likely it is type 2 but the doctor who diagnosed him should know for sure and can tell you that.

• Marcia

1

Source(s): Reduce Diabetes Now http://ReverseDiabetesToday.enle.info/?mefc

If he was 26 years old when diagnosed it is almost certainly type II diabetes. Type I develops almost exclusively in childhood. The symptoms are identical, and the treatments are sometimes identical, but the cause is different.