Lo asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What do the parlor walls in fahrenheit 451 symbolize?

Favorite Answer

Well three of the parlour walls were covered with "wallscreens", large TVs that covered the entire wall. Guy Montag's wife (I forget her name) watched these wallscreens non-stop. Her favourite programs were the shows that involved scripts- she was given a script so that she could "become" a part of the shows from her own living room. She invited her friends over only to watch the wallscreens, and not much more. People in this society even called the actors on these programs their "family". Could you imagine loving the actors on programs more than your own family?

The wallscreens (or the parlour walls) symbolize materialism, for one, but they also symbolize just how "different" this society is. When her husband was in bed sick, Mrs. Montag didn't even want to turn the volume down on the wallscreens because it was her "family". When her house was burning down, she didn't even care about her real husband. She just said something along the lines of "my poor family".

• Rose

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avsl1

Do your own damn homework! I think the irony here is that it has to do with people's inability to think for themselves, and here you are, having other people do your thinking for you.

• Michelle2 years agoReport

Harsh but I get your point.