My toenail is coming off and I didn't injure it in anyway...help?

I don't remember hurting it anyway and I think that would be something I'd feel and know about along with remember. I just got out the shower and my girlfriend was the one that noticed it. It's my middle toe and it's coming off from the part closet to where the toe is connected to the foot. It... show more I don't remember hurting it anyway and I think that would be something I'd feel and know about along with remember. I just got out the shower and my girlfriend was the one that noticed it. It's my middle toe and it's coming off from the part closet to where the toe is connected to the foot. It doesn't hurt(unless I pull on it---yes I was going to just pull it off) and it doesn't look infected or even injured. It looks normal besides the fact that half of the nail is sticking up.

So what should I do? Personally,I want to clip off the nail and go on with my life but my girlfriend wants me to get it checked,thoughts?