Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Did Martin Luther have a complete Bible?

Why he seemed to miss the following passages when he claimed faith only lead to salvation?

+++

James 2

Faith and Works

14My friends, what good is it to say you have faith, when you don't do anything to show that you really do have faith? Can that kind of faith save you? 15If you know someone who doesn't have any clothes or food, 16you shouldn't just say, "I hope all goes well for you. I hope you will be warm and have plenty to eat." What good is it to say this, unless you do something to help? 17Faith that doesn't lead us to do good deeds is all alone and dead!

18Suppose someone disagrees and says, "It is possible to have faith without doing kind deeds."

I would answer, "Prove that you have faith without doing kind deeds, and I will prove that I have faith by doing them." 19You surely believe there is only one God. That's fine. Even demons believe this, and it makes them shake with fear.

20Does some stupid person want proof that faith without deeds is useless? 21Well, our ancestor Abraham pleased God by putting his son Isaac on the altar to sacrifice him. 22Now you see how Abraham's faith and deeds worked together. He proved that his faith was real by what he did. 23This is what the Scriptures mean by saying, "Abraham had faith in God, and God was pleased with him." That's how Abraham became God's friend.

24You can now see that we please God by what we do and not only by what we believe. 25For example, Rahab had been a prostitute. But she pleased God when she welcomed the spies and sent them home by another way.

26Anyone who doesn't breathe is dead, and faith that doesn't do anything is just as dead!

________________________________

+++

Matthew 25:31-46 (Contemporary English Version)

The Final Judgment

31When the Son of Man comes in his glory with all of his angels, he will sit on his royal throne. 32The people of all nations will be brought before him, and he will separate them, as shepherds separate their sheep from their goats.

33He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34Then the king will say to those on his right, "My father has blessed you! Come and receive the kingdom that was prepared for you before the world was created. 35When I was hungry, you gave me something to eat, and when I was thirsty, you gave me something to drink. When I was a stranger, you welcomed me, 36and when I was naked, you gave me clothes to wear. When I was sick, you took care of me, and when I was in jail, you visited me."

37Then the ones who pleased the Lord will ask, "When did we give you something to eat or drink? 38When did we welcome you as a stranger or give you clothes to wear 39or visit you while you were sick or in jail?"

40The king will answer, "Whenever you did it for any of my people, no matter how unimportant they seemed, you did it for me."

41Then the king will say to those on his left, "Get away from me! You are under God's curse. Go into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels! 42I was hungry, but you did not give me anything to eat, and I was thirsty, but you did not give me anything to drink. 43I was a stranger, but you did not welcome me, and I was naked, but you did not give me any clothes to wear. I was sick and in jail, but you did not take care of me."

44Then the people will ask, "Lord, when did we fail to help you when you were hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in jail?"

45The king will say to them, "Whenever you failed to help any of my people, no matter how unimportant they seemed, you failed to do it for me."

46Then Jesus said, "Those people will be punished forever. But the ones who pleased God will have eternal life."

Favorite Answer

Martin Luther was translating the Bible into German.

This is what led him to question the Catholic Church and some of its practices.

Ephesians 2:8,9

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."

Works are the result of our faith... from our love for God and others.

• XY

Well for a start he was using the ancient Hebrew texts he had available to translate the Bible into German. So if you want to look at the translation of what he wrote it is here.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James%...

and

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthe...

Here is some reading if you are interested.

http://www.bible-researcher.com/luther.html

Second it is only by faith that salvation is available.

If you actually love someone and want to do what pleases them will you do it? Those are what true works are. They aren't works that people do TO be saved, they are works they do BECAUSE they are saved.

Anyone doing works TO be saved is like a man trying to clean a white wall with a muddy rag. The blood of Jesus first has to wash away the mud and then we can do the good and acceptable works. God's grace and mercy and Jesus' sacrifice are what saves us and when our hearts are right we can do the will of God, even Jesus actually came to do the will of the Father, He was sent.

In his sermon that became a book "The Greatest thing in the World", Henry Drummond talks about love and our relationship with God. There are many hearts that if we read Matthew 7 will not make it past the gates of heaven.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/16739

H.D. preached it over a century ago, you may learn from this.... that and more time in the Bible sure taught me.

James - he felt it was a gospel of straw, that it was weak. Further, look at the time he was living in and what he was upset about. The Catholic church was selling indulgences and preaching works in order to be saved. He saw people doing pilgrimages, praying to relics, giving their last dime, all to be saved or to save a loved one. So, for Luther, the idea of doing works in order to be saved was horrid, as it took away the true source of our salvation.... By grace, through faith.

Matthew - the majority of Lutherans do good works. However, we don't do them to brag or for others to see. We do them as a response to God's love for us. We are also told in Matthew 6:3-4 "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

As such, we do a lot of charity work, a lot of volunteer work, but we just do it. We don't brag about it or make a big fuss. God knows what we are doing and that is enough.

Source(s): LCMS Lutheran

He had a complete Bible. Indeed, it is interesting that his Bible included the same Scriptures as the Roman Catholic Bible that was decided upon 30 years afterward. This was different from English Protestant Bibles of the time, which contained 3 Scriptures in addition to those found in the Luther Bible and Roman Catholic Bibles.

Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/topics_rc_vs_pr.html#...

You make one major mistake, in that we are not saved by faith. Read Ephesians 2, 8-9 and it says we are saved by GRACE through faith. Read hebrews 11:1 and it tells you that faith is the evidence of what has happened (salvation) not the cause of it. You are beating a dead horse.

yes he did since he himself was a Catholic