Book author help! please!?

i'm almost 17 and i have to do a writing assignment for my english class that involves me writing about a non-american author and their style of writings. problem is.. i can't seem to find any authors that are non-american that write about topics i enjoy. if someone could list off a few good authors for me... show more i'm almost 17 and i have to do a writing assignment for my english class that involves me writing about a non-american author and their style of writings. problem is.. i can't seem to find any authors that are non-american that write about topics i enjoy. if someone could list off a few good authors for me to check out, that'd be great. :)

btw- i love reading about life issues. (for example: depression stories, suicide stories, etc.) pretty much anything deep, i'll look into reading.