what do you mix with oil paint?

what do i mix oil paint with? i mean to get it like..liquidy? or do i not?

• Linda
    Favorite Answer

Oil paint is best mixed with oil. There are different kinds on the market, however it is best to use something like linseed oil. That is what most oil paint is mixed with that you buy today. You can also use some type of paint thinner or turpentine. In deciding which to use, you need to know the different results they produce.

If you use oil, the paint will take a little longer to dry. In adding the oil, you are diluting the paint pigments somewhat and will thus lengthen the drying process time. It also will add more of a sheen to the finished work, because oil shines.

If you use a paint thinner, mineral spirits, turpentine, or some other solvent, it will speed up the drying process. It will also result in more of a matte or dull finish; the opposite of what oil produces. If you use too much of a solvent to thin your painting, it will begin to crack over time. You don't want that.

Artists can use these differences to their advantage. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve in the form of art expression. I myself, prefer to use linseed oil. It doesn't change the composition of the oil paint since that is already an ingredient. It only changes the ratio.

Also, if you use oil your finished work will retain the quality and preservation we all want.

Source(s): Lifetime Artist

How To Mix Oil Paint

I painted with watermedia (acrylic and watercolors) for years but I always wanted to try oils. What was holding me back was the fact that I had no idea what supplies were needed and I was not sure how to handle the differences between oil paint and watercolors or acrylics.

In the article indicated below you can read about the basic oil painting supply List. The 10 things artists need to have to start painting with oils. The answers to the common questions of all beginner painters.

I wish someone had told me these things few years back, I would have started painting with oils earlier. So I thought I would share, maybe I can help someone else taking the dive.

You could use an oil thinners or something as basic as white spirit. Whatever you wash your brushes in would work. Only a small amount of it though.

If the paint needs to be thinned, the directions on the container should tell you what to use. Mineral spirits, reducer, thinner, etc.

Linseed oil will also thin out the thick, gloopy paints and also make them a bit more translucent.

Source(s): Designer, Illustrator and Desktop Publisher for over 30 years http://vincem-answers.blogspot.com

Oil paints are slower drying than other forms of paint because they are made of small particles of pigment that are suspended in a drying oil. While some artists may find this slow-drying property bothersome, most artists consider this type of paint to be an essential media that should be taught to every art student. This is partly because of the many artistic masterpieces that have been created using the paint, but it is also because oil paints create luminous colors that are hardwearing, making them a good choice for creating new works of art. For centuries artists such as Claude Oscar Monet has been creating beautiful and exotic oil paintings, which grace the hallways of homes, mansions, museums and art galleries around the world. Claude Monet oil paintings created a fascinating movement in the nineteenth century, that would tremendously revolutionize the art world as we know it today.

medium or you could use turpentine