Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 10 years ago

what kind of cordless drill should I buy?

I'd like to spend as little as I can get away with, obviously, but I'm willing to spend as much as I need to. I'm looking for something that I can use for everyday-around-the-house tasks like hanging curtain rods and blinds, paintings and basic repairs like if a cabinet door or something needs to be fixed but I also want something heavy-duty enough that I can do larger projects like building a deck or a picnic table.

I understand Makita is a great brand but I also see a lot of Dewault drills around too.

What kind of torque do I need? Should it be 3/8"? What about voltage? 18 volts?

Favorite Answer

I have a Ryobi 18 volt 1/2 chuck.

Makita and Dewalt are great drills but probably more than you need. The next one i get will be a Makita Ni-cad. Consider the prices of new batteries though. In many cases it is almost cheeper to buy a new gun than to replace them! For around the house i suggest the 1/2 Ryobi heres why... Batteries are cheep. With a fresh battery i was able to out torque a 1/2 corded Hitachi. ( Thats tones more torque than you will need. ) The 1/2 Chuck allows you to use it with a mixing paddle for paint grout or thinset. Not to mention twist bits with a 1/2 shank.

In closing for the price and usage i suggest the Ryobi. Its cheeper than the others and except for weight and ergonomics it has preformed just as well as the more expensive drills.

Source(s): Professional Carpenter

I've gone through 7.2 volt, 12 volt, 14.4 volt, and am currently using a Ryobi 18 volt with a 1/2 inch chuck. I chose the Ryobi (@ Home Depot) because all of the Ryobi tools use the same battery. Their replacement batteries are also affordable. The smaller ones turned out to be too wimpy in the long run for any outside work. So if your going to eventually be using your drill for stuff outside, don't waste your time with smaller voltage stuff. Makita, DeWalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee, Porter-Cable are all good brands. Stay away from the Craftsman garbage!

A drill that will help build a deck can hang curtins, but a drill that can only hang curtins won't build a deck.

That said, makita, and Milwaukee are great. Bosch has some excellent drills too. Dewalt and ridgid are really good, but I've only used their top-of-the-line models, but I'd think their lower end ones would be good. Ryobi's are cheap, but aren't very good from my experience, but are you really going to build that deck anyways?

You most likely won't need a 1/2" chuck, so 3/8 will be fine.

Don't go less than 18 volts unless you're just hanging pictures.

Ridgid had a lifetime warranty on almost all their products, that's usually why they sell, and for good reason!

• Katie

Many interesting answers posted here. I have been selling cordless drills for many years and I will tell you the same thing I tell anyone who comes to my counter. The best drill for you is what you are comfortable with. How balanced in your hand it is. How much you want to spend and how often you are going to use it. Feel them out and decide what you like, then you will have the best cordless drill in the world. Keep in mind, Black and Decker makes Dewalt, Bosch makes Skil, so on and so forth. If you use it a lot and you may abuse it more than the average home user then I would recommend an Industrial drill (go to an industrial supply company like Fastenal, not Home Depot or Lowes). Always check out the type of carrying case you want, number of batteries supplied, ease of charging and charge time. Bottom line is, it is your money and your preference. I personally prefer a Bosch Industrial 14.4. I like the weight, the feel, the color (it is not that yellow thing that everyone else has) and I have owned one for years, dropped it off a two story roof, left it out in the snow and abused it but it keeps charging up and running like the day I bought it. Good luck with your quest!

"Every day around the house". A 12 volt at 1/4" drive is plenty good and probably more than you need. There are smaller cordless units that will put up curtains from now 'till doomsday. But having the 12 volt lets you handle the deck screws. You don't need 18 volts for decks.

Any cheapest brand at Home Depot or Lowes is good enough.

• Jim S

Hey, Jason. I'm a firm believer in buying what I can afford for jobs around the house. I'm a big DIY'r but I'm also not into paying for professional grade tools because mine aren't used every day. I use, and I recommend you use, a set of moderately priced tools available at hardware and home stores. Pros won't use them but they use their tools every day in all kinds of weather and circumstances. You and I use ours a time or two a week and keep them in the garage or in the house. I've had a set of 18 volt cordless goodies for years and haven't had to replace anything but the batteries. 18 volt is powerful enough to do almost anything around the house. The only thing I wish my drill had was a hammer setting, but they didn't offer that almost 10 years ago when I bought them. You can pick up a basic set of 18 volt power tools at the big box stores for about $150.

All of the models listed before are great and will last the average person a lifetime. My suggestion is to buy a used one from someone you know that is upgrading. I had a friend that always had to have the latest thing that came out so I often just purchased his used tools for a fraction of the price. Check around and ask around in the hardware stores, they may know of someone they can suggest. No more than you will use these tools they should last you a long time. Good hunting

For deck screws you want 18 volts. Dewalt is great, Bosch is great, Makita is great, Black and Decker sucks.

It's nice to have a smaller one (12v) for small jobs so you don't get tennis elbow lugging the big one around.

Get a strong magnetic tip holder (with a guide), and sheet rock screws, and you can fix anything :)

The more you use them the longer the battery will last.

I'd strongly consider getting a Lithium setup. I upgraded to a Makita lithium from an standard Craftsman and amazed at how long they last. I'm also a big fan of buying refurbished tools. Consider places like CPO Makita, CPO Bosch, where you get a warranty from the MFGR.

• HOOK

Go for the Dewalt, highest volt and 3/8 may be ok, you won't regret going big and pricy, it will serve you in so many ways and in situations you did not count on. My son uses Dewalt in his Drywall & construction business , they take a lickin,,