Will my computer run longer if I add more ram to it?

I have been told that adding more ram to your computer is one way to keep your computer running longer, is this true?

What I mean is will it run more smoothly?

And will it run faster also?

Favorite Answer

Adding more RAM to your computer allows your computer to perform more tasks simultaneously. This often makes multitasking much faster, but often also has the added effect of running out of RAM less often. This prevents your computer from having to, on the fly, figure out where it can put things into memory. Too much poor memory management can lead to needing to reboot just to gain decent usability.

I haven't restarted my computer in over two weeks and it's still running fine on only 1 gig of RAM, but that's because I use an operating system that knows how to manage its physical resources. I use GNU/Linux.

its not true. The common reason for a computer to crap out is the HDD crashing or the power supply giving out. After that its a toss up between the CPU and the MotherBoard as to which one will take a hike first. And all four of these are not your ram. Ram is like crack to your computer. The more crack you give it the faster is it able to perform. But this is also limited to the CPU. A single core CPU is like a lawn mower engine where as the Core 2 Quad is the V12. put a cracked up PC on a lawn mower and it will go but only so fast. Now Add the cracked out PC in a V12 and hang on cause it will be speeding.

No more ram wont do it if you only maintain your computer and keep it running smoothly. ... Computers, like cars, homes, and appliances, need regular maintenance to keep functioning well. ...

----RAM IS>> Random Access Memory, or volatile memory, is used by the system to store data for processing by a computer's central processing unit (CPU), also known as the processor. RAM stores the data in memory cells that are arranged in grids much like the cells are arranged in a spreadsheet, from which data, in the binary form of 1's and 0's, can be accessed and transferred at random to the processor for processing by the system's software.

sounds like a stupid question yet one which is oftentimes the case. have you ever tried searching to work out if the computing gadget has registered it? bypass to start up>top click 'computing gadget' and bypass to 'houses'. it really is going to inform you the way a lot RAM you've beside the words 'put in memory'. If it hasn't registered, attempt beginning the computing gadget back and checking A: the RAM is the right way round. B: verify if the RAM is pushed in perfect, because it would want to be fairly confusing.

I don't think it will make it run any longer. More Ram will make it respond better, and perform task faster. Now if you install more Ram than you OS supports you're just wasting ram, and money. I don't know about Vista. WindowsXP supports 3.0 GB of Ram. My Windows7 I have here will support 16.00 Rams.

Source(s): Computer Tech

RAM is like workers in factory..

the more u have it the faster ur factory runs..i mean it produce more production if the workers is many...

so the more u have ram the faster ur pc goes..

idk bout that longer part...i dont really understand what ure asking...happy to help...

What do you mean by running longer ?

By adding more RAM your computer will run a lot smoother.

Ram will make your PC faster.But threre are some ques. like if your motherboard supports 4 GB ram then your pc will give best performance in 3.5 GB......$ gb ram will make your PC slower then :