What would you think if your parents suggested getting a background check on the person you were dating?

My parents don’t trust my boyfriend because he’s 7 whole effing years older than me. Big whoop. They can really talk since they’re many years apart (I’m not even going to say, but if you guess it I'll give you mad props *hint*-it’s higher than 10 and less than 30). Ever since I’ve started dating him... show more My parents don’t trust my boyfriend because he’s 7 whole effing years older than me.

Big whoop.

They can really talk since they’re many years apart (I’m not even going to say, but if you guess it I'll give you mad props *hint*-it’s higher than 10 and less than 30).

Ever since I’ve started dating him there’s been nothing but drama, drama, drama coming from my parents. They’ve found every excuse in the book to talk negative about him (to me) whenever he’s not there. They find things wrong with him that aren’t even there. They make assumptions about him and then blame me for them not knowing anything about him whenever I try to argue against whatever they say, saying that I never talk to them about him. But why in the hell would I ever want to sit down and talk to them about him when all they’re going to do is criticize everything I say. I can’t tell them all the things I like about him because then they’d tell me “You’re becoming too serious about him and you’re going to get hurt.” I can’t tell them all the things I don’t like about him (which for now the list is very short) because then they’d tell me “He’s no good for you. You can do better.”

Can’t win. [They] won’t change.

They put on their masks in front of him whenever he’s around, pretending that they like him, when in reality my mom doesn’t like him because he’s not black and my dad…just doesn’t like him period. I never dated in high school because 1. all the boys I ever liked hurt me in some way, shape or form, and 2. I’ve always been mature for my age and never met anyone close to my age who would accept me this way until now.

As stupid and cheesy as this sounds, I can tell he actually does care about me.

Long story short, he wants to take me to San Diego for the day just to hang out, go shopping, be together etc. It’s about a 2 hour drive from where I live. Even though I technically didn’t even have to because I’m an “adult” now, I still sat both my parents down and talked to them about wanting to go on this trip with him like it’s the biggest deal in the whole wide world because that’s exactly how they looked at it.

My mom starts off by saying it’s “too far” like we’re planning on going out of state or something, and then my dad started getting all huffy, and made a comment on interracial dating and how people in the “real world” perceive us, and then told me “not to get offended or take this the wrong way”, but that maybe I should do a background check on him.

As in: search his name in the computer and see if my boyfriend, who has a full time job, who’s getting a business degree and is still going to school, who pays for all his own crap, and the list of how responsible he is could go on—has any sort of criminal records or something.

I don’t even want to touch that with a ten foot pole. My parents are so paranoid and ridiculous that it’s almost laughable.