Questions about the sex change (male to female)?

So my fiance is getting the sex change (we aren't romantic lovers or anything, we are just best friends who happen to be engaged) and he has been thinking about the sex change for a few years. He did all the research he could and he knows the risks of it all. He knows what he has to do in order to get to where he needs to be. However, some questions weren't answered. I was wondering if anyone knew the answers to these specific questions:

1. Will he get a new social security number after the surgery?

2. Will he have to go to another state to get the surgery done? (some say it's cheaper in Colorado)

3. Does he NEED health insurance? (I mean if health insurance wont pay for cosmetic surgery then why would he need it?)

4. How long will he be taking estrogen pills before the surgery?

5. Will he be taking other medications other than estrogen? If so, what kind? How long? How much?

6. What is the dosage amount of estrogen and/or other medications? He is five foot, seven inches tall and he weighs 130 lbs. (if that helps at all)

7. How long would the hospital stay be? (When will he officially be able to go back to work?)

8. How long will his recovery take after getting out of the hospital?

9. How long until he starts seeing results after taking the medication?

10. Should he get his name changed before or after his surgery?

11. Does he have the option to reproduce?

12. What are certain procedures and/or precautions he needs to take days prior to his surgery?

13. Does he need to quit smoking/drinking while taking medications or before his surgery? (Will smoking/drinking affect the medications?)

14. Will therapy last as long as he takes the meds?

15. When is the best time to plan the date for the surgery? (i.e. during therapy, after therapy)

16. Can he make a payment plan with a surgeon? (Or will the hospital want the money up front?)

17. How long after the surgery can he partake in sexual intercourse?

These are all of his questions and we looked them up online but most we couldn't find the answers. So if anyone knows ANY answers to any of these questions, please let me know and post a detailed response.

Thank you! =)

If nobody read my question fully, I just said that I did a search on ALL HIS QUESTIONS. These are the ones I couldn't find an answer to. Please, people, READ before writing a response. THANK YOU

Favorite Answer

No, she will get a new card with her new name and after surgery she can have the sex marker changed at SSI with a notarized letter from the surgeon.

It depends on the surgeon she is comfortable with. She will want to research several.

It is nice but like so many in this country she can transition without it. Mine pays for therapy and my hormone treatment.

Minimum of one year as per the standards of care. Most are on longer and she will need estrogen the rest of her life.

Most likely spiro. (Testosterone blocker) Will need to take it as long as her Doctor says but after SRS it will no longer be needed. As for dosage I am not a Doctor and I do not talk about that in a public forum

Again that will be up to her Doctor

She will be in the hospital approximately 1 week. It depends on the Doctor. Recovery will depend on her type of job and her healing time but my Doctor has said a minimum of 8 weeks.

Again that is dependent on each individual. Most I have talked to tell me 3-6 months before you really have your strength back.

Every one is different. I personally felt much calmer after less then a week of estrogen. Breast tenderness at about 9 weeks.

Before. Most do it prior to starting the real life experience.

Yes, She can store sperm prior to starting hormones. Within 6-12 months after starting she will most likely be sterile.

When she gets to that point her Doctor will go over every thing with her.

Yes she needs to quit. Smoking greatly increases the risk of blood clots and higher risk factors. My Doctor would not prescribe if I smoked.

Standards of care dictate 1 year minimum. Most go longer due to the different stresses and problems that come up along the way. You should also plan to see her therapist with her at times.

I have seen mine for 5 years and plan to keep seeing her after surgery later this year. Do not even worry about planing it yet.

Most Surgeons require a deposit at the time they give a surgery date with full payment required prior to surgery. Every Doctor makes there own rules.

Again that will be a very personal decision but my Doctor has told me no sooner then 8 weeks. Most people that have been through it tell me its more like 3 months minimum.

You will want to get used to using female pronouns in the future or when she wants it. ..Best of luck to you both

1. No

2. Probably

3. It can help pay for it if he is diagnosed as having gender dysphoria as a disease.

4. 2ish years.

5. Possibly Progesterone.

6. No clue at all, sorry.

7. Not more than 2 weeks.

8. A few months.

9. About 2 months.

10. After is best.

11. No.

12. Sorry Idk.

13. Before the surgery definitely.

14. I think so.

15. A few months in advance.

16. Probably all at once.

17. He(she) will be good to go when he(she) feels ready.

I didn't get a couple of them, but I hope this helps.

Any more questions, the doctor who is overseeing this will know best.

:)

• Leah

When one of us has SRS it is a crap shoot whether we will be orgasmic afterwards. Some have reported intense orgasm whiles other report they feel nothing. But them when I was married to a genetic woman she said she never felt anything orgasmic either. So really it is a crap shoot for genetic women as well. And whether what is feels like to a genetic male who had SRS as compared to a genetic female, there is no way to tell for sureas we have so idea whether what we have is the female experience of something else different altogether. However, those of us who are orgasmic report it does go on a lot longer than as a male and we are good to go again almost immediately.

• Jamets

If the health service you've employed or are thinking of employing to carry out the surgery can't help you with these questions, the procedure should not be undergone. Oh and I like the fact that you can take marriage so lightly that you're just friends who happen to be getting married... that's really nice for you.

• Koryn

No you keep the same number, you just have your name changed

Probably yes but the price of Sex Reassignment Surgery (SRS) is between $20,000 and 25,000 in the USA.

Most all health insurances do not pay for surgery but some will pay for HRT

It depends on how long it takes to go through transition average time is a few years but estrogen will have to be taken for the rest of her life after surgery.

Yes she will have to take anti androgens. once again it depends on how long it takes to go through transition. I will not tell how much (dosage) because that will depend on the person and their Doctor.

As I just said it depend on the person and their Doctor.

7. How long would the hospital stay be? (When will he officially be able to go back to work?) hospital stay will be at least seven days.

She should be able to return to work in not less than three weeks but could be several weeks.

As stated it depends on the person, and how long it will take for them to recover everyone is different.

It could take just a few weeks for her to notice any changes.

Name changes are usually done before the Real Life Experience (RLE) but can be done when ever she feels it should be done

No not after surgery she will be sterile, but she could store some sperm before she starts transition so it can be used for, In Vito fertilization, or artificial insemination.

That will be up to what her surgeon wants her to do.

Smoking is never any good and drinking and drugs do not go together

Therapy lasts as long as it takes for the therapist to write you the letter of approval to get SRS. but many trans people keep their therapist after surgery.

Surgery can only be done after the therapist has approved you for surgery, and there is usually a waiting list for surgery.

I can't speak for every surgeon but mine wanted payment up front before the surgery

.

If there is no complication durring the surgery sexual activity can be started after twelve weeks or so.

Source(s): Just A Woman Born With Transsexualism
  • pj

honey.....not much of the research has been done. if your "fiance" hasn't answered most of these questions already, he should start therapy over.

that's the starting place. no jumping the gun on this one...you have to begin at the beginning and take it one step at a time.

much love and hope. pj

edit: dias, you giving advice on transsexualism is about as credible as you giving a third grader advice on spelling.

Source(s): me...an affirmed transsexual

you can google it will you most of what you need to know

i think the best answare is dont comit that mestaik of changing sex,you will be arassed for the rest of you life,if you dont fill happy with your self now ,and you are a normal person how do you gona be happy wen evrybody trow at you becose you have changed your gender?

that is going to complicat you stat of mind,