can i purchase my dads reverse mortgage home?

My dad has a reverse mortgage on his home that i grew up on. In the event that he passes away, i understand that his home will more then likely be sold to repay that reverse mortgage. Is it possible for me to purchase his home as a buyer? If so, are there additional fees that are applied to the cost due to it being on a reverse mortgage? Is the home sold for the appraised value like normal or is it sold with the remaining loan amount due?

Thanks

Josh

So it sounds like i can purchace the home for full value PLUS the amount he had paid to him? Is this correct?

Bummer

Favorite Answer

There are extreme fees to pay if you back out of a reverse mortgage.

Not to mention, you'll have to pay back everything they paid your dad.

I'm disspointed on all these commercials that make reverse mortgages sound so good.

When in fact, it is one of the worst financial decisions a person can make.

I would consider letting him keep his reverse mortgage, and then buy the house when it goes in the market many years from now.

Research - breaking the reverse mortgage contract fees.

The house will be sold at appraised value or higher when he passes.

/

• Minnow

You are going to want to research and look at the reverse mortgage papers. From what I've read, after he dies you would have 6 months to buy the house back or pay off the reverse mortgage amount, and according to law they must sell the house to you at 95% of the appraised amount. Now, if the house was appraised at way too much, then you may have a problem, but like my parents' home was appraised for 110,000 when it probably would be more like 150,000-180,000 (though possibly less since it really needs updating and fixing.) That means that no matter how much they borrow out of the reverse mortgage, I would need to plan on about 100,000 forward mortgage to buy it back. Even if they borrowed 200,000, tough luck bank, I can buy it for 100,000 because of the laws requiring that. And if the reverse mortgage is LESS than that then I get the house for whatever the reverse mortgage is at.

If you want to purchase the home now, you could actually pay the outstanding balance of the loan as the purchase price. For example, if his home is worth $100K and he has a $50K reverse mortgage (including all accrued interest and fees), there's nothing that would prohibit your dad from selling you the home for $50K. All the bank is worried about is getting their $50K back. Of course, in that example, your dad would get $0.

If you're talking about when you inherit the home, its basically the same issue. When your dad dies, if he owes $50K on the reverse mortgage, you would have the option of either refinancing the home with a $50K mortgage, paying the bank $50K in cash or selling the home and giving the bank the first $50K. In any event, as the heir you have control over the disposition of the property. The only limitation is that you would have to do something within 12 months or the bank may be able to repossess. After all, you can't expect them to wait around forever for you to make a decision. Good luck!

The reverse mortgage can be paid off at any time, with a new loan, whether it is a purchase by you or someone else, or a refinance of the current loan by your dad, or even by life insurance proceeds.

If your father chooses to stay in the home, the reverse mortgage loan becomes due and payable when:

1. The Property ceases to be the principal residence of a Borrower for reasons other than death

and the Property is not the principal residence of at least one other Borrower;

2. For a period of longer than 12 consecutive months, a Borrower fails to physically occupy the

Property because of physical or mental illness and the Property is not the principal residence of

at least one other Borrower; or

3. An obligation of the Borrower under the Security Instrument is not performed ( paying taxes and insurance, and maintaining the property ).

It can be paid off by the sale of the home or by someone in the family paying it off. Even if the balance of the loan is higher than the value of the home, the payoff cannot exceed the value of the home. There will be many of these that are paid off for less than full value when the loans become due. That is why there is upfront mortgage insurance on the loans, to create a fund to make up for these potential shortfalls.

There would be no other special fees owed by a borrower paying off a reverse mortgage with a new loan other than the normal costs associated with the new loan.

Source(s): Reverse Mortgage Lending Experience

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

My dad has a reverse mortgage on his home that i grew up on. In the event that he passes away, i understand that his home will more then likely be sold to repay that reverse mortgage. Is it possible for me to purchase his home as a buyer? If so, are there additional fees that are applied to the...

Source(s): purchase dads reverse mortgage home: https://tinyurl.im/e/can-i-purchase-my-dads-revers...

Absolutely, but you should find out what the balance is on the loan first from a statement that he received or by calling the servicer.

If teh balance is less than the value of the home, then you may only need to come up with that and work out the details of the purchase with the estate.

If the balance is more than the value of the home, you may still be entitled to purchase the home for fair market value and the lender's insurance from the Federal Housing Authority will fill in the rest. This might get tricky because you may be one of the people who actually own the property as an heir.

Source(s): Basic Reverse Mortgage information, any HUD booklet

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avubz

They will not be able to get a reverse mortgage, as those require that they live in the house, they can not move out of it without paying it off. As the new home costs more then the old they will not be able to get it with an equity loan. The best thing would be to sell it and buy the other one, or simply buy the second one and rent this one out for income.

Question,

So my Neighbors home is in a Reverse mortgage, the loan is lets say for 170K. The house is not worth that much. Can I go to the bank and ask to buy the house. Get an independent appraisal and go in with my appraisal and make in offer on the house?

SURE you can purchase the home now or after your father's passing.

Whenever you purchase the home, his mortgage is paid off in full.

Whenever you buy any house, the existing mortgage is paid off, so that you get clear title.

Any seller gets what is left after paying off their mortgages and closing fees.

Source(s): real estate investor
  • Binnie

For Credit and finance solutions I always recommend this website where you can find all the solutions. http://your-finance.us/index.html?src=5YAyupqlHD76...

RE :Can i purchase my dads reverse mortgage home?

Thanks

Josh

Update: So it sounds like i can purchace the home for full value PLUS the amount he had paid to him? Is this correct?

Bummer

3 following 9 answers

Source(s): For Credit and finance solutions I always recommend this website where you can find all the solutions. http://your-finance.us/index.html?src=5YAyupqlHD76...