Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Your opinion on USBM (United States Black Metal)?

I find the music quality in most USBM bands to be lacking, although there are a few good ones such as Xasthur (which is better then a lot of European bands coming out now days)

I find the best black metal in the United States is usually depressive black metal (Xasthur has a obvious influence from Funeral doom)

United States seems like a pretty depressing place especially if you live in a small town

I just don't like how some elitist put down USBM even if its good

I have seen people say they hate Xasthur just because he his American

• tron
    Favorite Answer

I haven't heard much of it and I think the scene there is quite small compared to Death metal and Industrial. Probably as a result it hasn't had the chance to grow and become as good as the European stuff. Also I think the European stuff is better on a personal level - they sing often in European languages and use European mythology (Arckanum, Burzum, Dark Funeral).

> "I find the best black metal in the United States is usually depressive black metal"

Ya this is true I think. Look at Black Funeral; they're kinda the Darkthrone of America (almost) and their music is really moody and depressing (yet on par with the Euro stuff).

Host are the best thing in USBM, followed closely by Averse Sefira, but its a pretty lame scene to be honest. Its got nothing on the French scene.

I like a fair bit of USBM. my favs are Wolves in the Throne Room and Weakling. If it's good music, it doesn't matter where it's from, for me.

Well my favorite USBM band is Imperial Crystalline Entombment.

I'd say they are rather good.

melodeath/scandinavian/gothenburg metal > black/blackened death/funeral/funeral doom/ambient doom/doom doom/ambient black/black doom metal AKA "garbage" ANY DAY!!!