Just how do video tapes work?

In this era of DVDs and Blu-Ray and all that fun stuff, I still enjoy putting an old fashioned VHS in my TV and watching an old movie, mainly because compared to disks, tapes are virtually indestructible. But, like many technological wonders, I use it without knowing what it really does. How exactly does a piece... show more In this era of DVDs and Blu-Ray and all that fun stuff, I still enjoy putting an old fashioned VHS in my TV and watching an old movie, mainly because compared to disks, tapes are virtually indestructible. But, like many technological wonders, I use it without knowing what it really does.

How exactly does a piece of plastic and tape manage to go from a reel of pictures to a moving collection of pictures and sound on my TV? Picture I can sorta get, but how do you get sound on tape? It boggles my mind! Please help kill the magic of the video tape for me. (And while you're at it, cassette tapes too. I figure they work on the same principle when it comes to sound, but that's where I'm having problems in the first place.)