shane asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Can you suggest me realistic tips to lose weight ?

Can you suggest me realistic tips to lose weight ? I am looking to loose weight in a healthy way.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Charli
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Losing 1-2lbs a week is the best way to go. This way, you are losing mostly fat, rather than water and muscle. Faster weight loss is not better, nor is it sustainable.

Diet should be what you look at first for weight loss- this is what will enable you to drop fat. Try a balanced diet made up of mostly natural whole foods, with high protein, moderate carbs and moderate fats.

You need to know how many calories you burn- you can use an online calculator for a rough estimate. Aim for 10-20% calories fewer than you burn daily (too large a deficit will be counterproductive in the longer term).

Don't worry about complicated diets or cutting things out. You can enjoy anything in moderation, as long as the majority of your diet is healthy.

Base your meals around:

Lean protein (e.g. chicken, tuna, lean beef, fat-free cottage cheese, egg whites)

Wholegrains (e.g. wholewheat bread, oats, bran cereals, rice)

Healthy fats (e.g. nuts, seeds, olive oil, avocado, salmon, whole eggs, flaxseed)

Fruit and veg

And drink lots of water.

Get at least 1g protein/lb bodyweight to preserve lean mass and at least 0.35g fat/lb for healthy hormone function.

Meal timing doesn't really matter- aim to get protein and carbs before and after working out, and then it's down to your own schedule how you fit in other meals.

Second in importance to diet, is heavy resistance training- this is what will allow you to preserve muscle so you look 'toned' and defined once you've dropped the fat (rather than just a smaller version of how you look now, with the same bits you're unhappy with). More muscle also means a higher metabolism, so you definitely want to hold on to, or increase the muscle base you have, for fat loss.

You need to work ALL your major muscle groups- you can't spot reduce.

Do this sort of training 3-4 times a week. A good place to start could be:

-Three days a week doing full-body workouts. Leave at least a day between each workout.

-OR four days a week alternating upper and lower body. Don't work out more than two days in a row if possible.

Then you can look at extras like cardio to help create a calorie deficit. But cardio is by far the least important of these three, and you can lose fat effectively without it.

Make sure you're getting at least one rest day a week with no exercise at all.

Focus on losing inches/dress sizes rather than actual scale weight- it's how slim you look that matters, not how little you weigh.

Source(s): I'm a PT.
  • 1 decade ago

A balanced diet not excluding anything. Exercise 5 days a week. Learn how to lift weights and be consistent with it. The 'Eat Clean Diet' book has lots of great info for working out and eating well. Its not gimmicky and its not a diet, its a lifestyle. Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

Cut out granulated sugar. If you need a soda drink diet soda, but it is best to cut out soda completely because of the chemicals. However, diet soda is diet-friendly..I drink diet soda and I have lost weight just fine.

Replace white bread, pasta, tortillas, english muffins, and rice with whole wheat/grain. Replace regular dressings (like ranch dressing, mayo, miracle whip) with the fat free version.

Count calories. It is annoying to do it but calories add up very fast if you aren't paying attention. By counting calories you can not only prevent overeating, but you can prevent under eating which is another reason why people don't lose weight. If you under eat your body goes into starvation mode and you store more fat. So make sure you eat enough.

Drink lots of water!

Eat a balanced diet. You need protein, carbs, and fat in your diet. Protein should come from sources like meat, fish, low fat cottage cheese, eggs/egg whites, skim milk, low fat/fat free cheese, and protein powder. Healthy carbs come from whole wheat/whole grain, fruits, and vegetables. Healthy fats come from sources like salmon, nuts, seeds, and olive oil. You should have protein and a fruit or vegetable with every meal.

Work out! If you work out at least 3-4 times a week combined with a good diet you will lose a lot of weight. Lift weights for about 30-45 minutes and do at least 30 minutes of cardio (running, hiking, riding a bike, elliptical, etc..)

You don't have to cut junk food completely out of your diet. What you can do is eat right and exercise all week and then use Sunday as a splurge day to eat something you have been craving. DON'T binge eat or eat a few bad meals because you can ruin all of the progress you made during the past week. Usually I will buy fast food for breakfast (fast food breakfast is the only fast food I can stand), go out to dinner, OR eat some kind of yummy dessert. Only one, not all three.

Look up recipes. A big reason people go back to their old eating habits is they get bored with what they are eating. Check out SparkRecipes..they have recipes for everything!

• 4 years ago

at the start do not lose desire. Your physique takes a million month to get use to the variations you're doing. one element i will assure is that in case you do not eat 2 or 3 hours formerly going to mattress you will commence dropping weight. eat a wholesome breakfast, in no way bypass it. do not eat something white. No white rice, no w. bread, not something with sophisticated sugar, no potatoes. Sugar will become fat so attempt to maintain your sugar intake as low as you could. Drink a lot of water. keep doing the treadmill while you're actually not seeing any effects dazzling away you're nonetheless helping your coronary heart stay wholesome. once you cook dinner use olive or canola oil. eat fowl or fish not an excellent form of crimson or beef meat. eat an excellent form of vegetables and end result yet no end result formerly bedtime. good success and don't supply up purely ask your self this question? "how long did it take me to learn this further weight? you're actually not likely to lose it in one day

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Just eat healthier, drink a lot of water, and take multi-vitamins. Fiber helps. Don't go on a special diet in which you cut out a certain food group- believe me, it doesn't work, you just end up being tired, unhappy and you binge. If you want to chat or anything, just go to my page and my AIM is there. :D Good luck. :)

• 1 decade ago

weight watchers is the best program

they teach you how to eat healthy and portion controlled foods

there is nothing you cannot eat on the program

you can join on-line if you like

basically, you need to consume fewer calories than you burn

diet & exercise together are crucial

Good luck!

• 5 years ago

people who regularly weigh themselves and keep track of their progress in a journal are more likely to lose weight

• 5 years ago

Better to drink warm water with lemon and honey

• 5 years ago

resistance bands are a comfortable and affordable at home exercise option for strength straining

• 5 years ago

eat 90 percent of your meals at home

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.