PLEASE HELP!! What hardware & software do I need to START Electronic Music Making HOBBY?

Hello,

I have always been really into computers and have LOVED elertonica music more than anything for the last 15 years. Recently, I have decided to take up the hobby of learning how to create eletroinca music. I need to know what it is that I need to buy which will allow me to start out on something simple so that I can learn the basic techniques but also will allow me to grow with my hobby. I am not trying to become the next Deadmau5 or tiesto, but it would be nice to be able to have a setup that will allow me to make the sounds and music that they make. Just as an FYI I do not know how to play any instruments, I can't sing, and I can't read music. But I am passionate about electronic music and would do everything it takes to make this a fun hobby for myself. I mentioned that I am really into computer because I am assuming that I am needing a computer to get start in this hobby. So if you could let me know what type of computer would be best I would appreciate it. I was looking into getting a mac mini. What are your thoughts?

Just as an FYI I have about $1000 to throw down on this hobby (Including cost for hardware & software, if needed). So please let me know what your thoughts on for what I need to get started with please keep in mind that I prefer that you make recommendations which will allow me to start out basic, that way I don't get overwhelmed.

Thanks,

ER

Favorite Answer

I started out on FL Studio some years ago, and I still use it to this day. It's quite easy to learn for beginners and once you get to know it it goes very deep as well, so maybe it's a good option for you: http://demo.flstudio.com/

Focus mostly on workflow, as you can extend the range of sounds of FL Studio (and most other digital audio workstations) with (free) VST instrument plug-ins & effects and samples.

You will also want to get a good audio interface, a USB or firewire one. The onboard soundcard on your machine usually doesn't cut it. Good monitor speakers and/or headphones are helpful but not essential and so is a nice MIDI keyboard controller so that you can "play" your music when creating it. I am not a keyboard/piano player but I still find it incredibly helpful to have a MIDI keyboard to record my music.

Just start out with some software like FL Studio (one another one if you don't like that one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_worksta... ) and take it from there.

In case you end up getting FL Studio, you can get 10% discount on your first order from image-line with this promo link for new customers: https://support.image-line.com/jshop/shop.php?offe...

Good luck and have fun!

I would try a mac, a mac mini or macbook. The reason I recommend that is because of garageband. Garageband is made for making music and by far is the easiest program I've ever used to create music. You could go the PC route and buy software, but Macs are well built and have great software. Also, if you live near an Apple store, they have a service one to one, they train you how to use garageband (at least the basics). That is a $100, but it's worth it if you want to get good.

Once you get good on garageband, you can then upgrade to Logic. Logic is disgustingly good and it will overwhelm you at first, but it's great. I'd try that route though. Garageband does have an electronica section, so it should do exactly what you want.