? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Can someone tell me if this is a well-written professional resume? any feed back or critique is fine?

Detail-minded individual seeking a position where I can utilize my strong interpersonal and communication skills with experience working with families and children, case management, and administrative settings. I also have linguistic abilities of speaking fluent Spanish that make me a valuable addition to your organization.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

Bayfront Youth and Family Services 2006- 2010 Long Beach, CA.

Unit Coordinator

• Coordinated all medical and legal documents. billing.

• Generated monthly and quarterly reports for management.

• Translated for therapists and educational staff.

• Created and organized a tracking system of legal documents for staff to efficiently use.

• Received Leadership Award by management for improving medical services in the residential program.

• Received numerous letters of recommendation, appreciation from management.

Kedren Community Mental Health Center - 2005- 2006 Los Angeles, CA.

Case Manager- Children’s Outpatient

• Interviewed/screened clients and developed treatment plans for clients.

• Managed referrals and mental health services for clients.

• Served as a liaison to community health providers, services, hospitals, and other resources.

• Demonstrated ability to maintain composure and work efficiently preserving client confidentiality.

• Accomplished the screening, planning and offering of good services.

Peace and Joy Care Center- 2005-2005 Lynwood, Ca.

Emergency Shelter/Transitional Housing Case Manager

• Provided case management services to families being shelter with motel vouchers. Ten families in a one two year transitional housing program.

• Provided close support to female survivors of domestic violence, budgeting skills, self-awareness, self-esteem skills, with a focus on self-sufficiency.

• Assist in setting employment, education and long-term housing goals.

H.V. Group Home, Inc. - 2004- 2005 Long Beach, CA.

Youth Counselor- Group Home

• Counseled juveniles with behavioral problems in a Level 14 group home.

• Effectively promoted safety and well-being of all adolescents.

• Taught groups on life skills, anger management, and positive self-image.

• Charted and filed notes for social workers and probation dept.

Mckinney Jenkins Behavior Programs- 2002- 2003 Carson, CA.

Program Assistant- (Day Treatment Program)

• Supervised adults with developmental disabilities in a behavior management program.

• Helped client’s work towards goals such as self-help, communication, and basic living skills.

• Documented on client’s treatment goals and progress in program.

• Supported clients in taking them out into the community.

EDUCATION

California State University Dominguez Hills- 05/2001 Carson, CA

• Obtained Bachelors of Arts in Psychology

• Concentration Courses: Behavior Modification, Abnormal Psychology, Developmental Psychology.

COMPUTER SKILLS/CREDENTIALS

• Proficient in MS Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet Explorer.

• Certified in First Aid/CPR from American Red Cross.

Favorite Answer

I have had a chance to look over your resume and have a few suggestions that I think could help you take the document to the next level.

1. I think you might want to forgo the Objective Statement (objectives are best left for the cover letter and are falling out of favor) and instead use a Branding Statement – a one or two sentence statement that outlines your high level experience and helps to create the "frame" through which the reader will see your information. Much of what you have put in the Objective Statement would work well. You might try something like:

"Detail-focused and compassionate professional, offering extensive Case Management, Program Management and Administrative experience. Track record of leveraging outstanding communication and interpersonal skills – including speaking fluent Spanish – to provide the guidance and tools necessary to effect positive change, both within families and within the organizations that support them."

See how that achieves the same goal as an objective, but communicates so much more. It also is a much more engaging way to open the document.

2. Many of your bullet points are responsibility focused. I think you could really set yourself apart by speaking more to accomplishments. I know this can be difficult in your field (which is why it would set you apart) but since prior performance is the best indicator of future success, speaking to accomplishments is the most effective way to engage the reader. Ask yourself the following question, "In each of my roles, how was my success measured? What metrics were I evaluated on?" Those instances when you met or exceeded those goals make for excellent bullet points.

3. Small item. You don't need to say "obtained" before your degree. By listing a degree, you are automatically saying you obtained it.

4. Take a close look at your bullet points and make certain the grammar is correct. I see a few areas were the grammar isn't as tight as it could be.

I hope that helps. It looks like you do really important work, so thank you for that! Best of luck in your job search.

Source(s): Professional Resume Writer and Career Development Specialist: http://www.tandemresumes.com/Resumes/Home/html