defending miller v. california against Roe v. Wade?

My government teacher gave us an assignment to argue why our case is the most important (we have to prove out case is the most important case over anny other case) I got assigned MIller v. California, which deals with distribution of adult materials (freedom of speech) and tomorrow I will go against Roe v. Wade (abortion rights). how can I argue against this controversial case?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Miller v California helps establish what is considered obscene. This is a very controversial issue as the Court had problems establishing this in the Roth v United States case. Miller established the three part obscenity test and protects freedom of the press. Freedom of the Press is of the utmost importance in a democracy. As for Roe v. Wade, it was very important, but you can argue that it is a subset of Griswold v. Connecticut which established the privacy rights first. Good luck :)

Source(s): Reading Case law
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Thanks for the cut and paste on Roe V Wade, it is an issue because most likely the next President will nominate the next Justices, and depending on their views of abortion it could be overturned. The Christian belief that you state is actually incorrect. It is not that it is the principle of kill, it is taking the life of one who has not had a chance, and that life begins at conception that a pregnancy (when acted upon by 2 adults is a blessing) in fact the Republicans believe in the Death Penalty which if you takes ones life you should be sentenced with the same, whereas the Dems would rather let a murderer live or be back on the streets.

• 1 decade ago

However you argue it. Make sure to include that precedence is one of the most important things in law. Basically the longer a ruling has stood up in court the more likely that it will stand up again and again and again.

Roe vs. Wade has stood the test of time and time again, as it should.

So your best bet is to give the best argument you can and then maybe end on a note about precedence and how it affects court rulings.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You need to research the case and find the points you disagree with,in a legal context, and argue why what you think, legally, is correct.

Good luck it's not a small case.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.