Might it be hard for Westerners to understand Chinese "Human Rights"?

Based on historical evidence from over the past two thousand years or so, Chinese culture places a much lower value on human life than that currently found in Western civilization. As the Chinese population continues to grow, and resources begin to shrink, this cultural viewpoint is likely to maintain its... show more Based on historical evidence from over the past two thousand years or so, Chinese culture places a much lower value on human life than that currently found in Western civilization. As the Chinese population continues to grow, and resources begin to shrink, this cultural viewpoint is likely to maintain its influence. Thus, China could easily commit a few million troops to overrun any area it might choose, without regard to loss of life. Likewise, the CCP can eliminate any dissidents seeking to "modernize" the culture (as in "globalization"), with little repercussions. And, widespread deaths in coal mines and industrial accidents, or from short-cutting quality control (e.g. the powered milk and lead painted toys scandals) are seen as common business practices with acceptable losses of human life.

Might this cultural factor (disregard for Human Rights, as well as the environment) be so contrary to the viewpoints embedded in Western cultures that it could generate misjudgments during political/economic negotiations?

Do you know of any other examples where this has recently occurred?

Might it be totally unreasonable for Western countries to expect ANY progress in the area of Human Rights and environmental issues, so long as China continues to have such an immense and expendable population, and extremely little motivation to head in that direction?
Update: CHN - Thorough response, thanks.

Patrick - I can understand Traditional Mandarin. However, you type in the bastardized form of Chinese created by the CCP. 很遺憾,您無法讀取真實中國.
Update 2: Sailor - You refer to a simple question as being "silly." I'm not sure why you didn't understand the question. Individual perceptions of the world and one's values vary according to cultural upbringing. I was inquiring as to whether Chinese culture/history is so diametrically opposed to... show more Sailor - You refer to a simple question as being "silly." I'm not sure why you didn't understand the question. Individual perceptions of the world and one's values vary according to cultural upbringing. I was inquiring as to whether Chinese culture/history is so diametrically opposed to Western culture/history in regards to the value of human life, that it might lead to great misunderstandings during attempts to mutually improve the environment (such as curtailing the use of coal-fired power plants) and settle issues of human rights (such as invoking due process of law).
11 answers 11